[webdev] Web Design Update: December 27, 2012

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Dec 27 11:33:07 CST 2012

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 10, Issue 27, December 27, 2012.

design and development.

04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Adapting Online Learning Resources For All: Planning for
Professionalism in Accessibility
By Patrick McAndrew, Robert Farrow and Martyn Cooper.
"Online resources for education offer opportunities for those with
disabilities but also raise challenges on how to best adjust resources
to accommodate accessibility..."
http://www.researchinlearningtechnology.net/index.php/rlt/article/view/18699/html

Demystifying Accessibility
By Dara Skolnick.
"...My biggest overall takeaway from this experience was how
inaccessible many sites are, and how frustrating it must be to a
person with certain disabilities to regularly have poor web
experiences. As developers, it's our job to keep this in mind when
creating any site, whether it 'needs to be accessible' or not. You can
bet that these lessons are being baked back into our work. Hopefully
some of these will make it into your next projects as well..."
http://www.jetcooper.com/blog/demystifying-accessibility/

Improving Accessibility Can Close Digital Divide
By Rob Sinclair.
"In an increasingly interconnected world in which more and more
services are being delivered online, it is imperative that people with
disabilities are not left behind, writes Microsoft's chief
accessibility officer.."
http://www.publicserviceeurope.com/article/2818/improving-accessibility-can-close-digital-divide

What's the Future of Web Accessibility?
By Whitney Quesenbery and  Sarah Horton.
"What's will web accessibility be like in the future? This question
has been knocking around in our heads for a while. We've always known
we want to end the book with a look forward to the accessible web of
the future..."
http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/web-accessibility/blog/whats_the_future_of_web_access/

What Impact Will Facebook's New Accessibility Team Have?
By Sarah Pulis.
"It's hard not to want to cheer out aloud at the introduction of the
new accessibility team at Facebook while muttering "finally" under
your breath."
http://www.accessiq.org/news/commentary/2012/09/what-impact-will-facebooks-new-accessibility-team-have-0

Accessibility for iPhone and iPad Apps
By Matt Gemmell.
"Ensuring that your iPhone or iPad app is accessible (in this case, to
visually impaired users) is the right thing to do, and thankfully it's
very easy - in many cases, there's no work to do at all. This article
for iOS developers describes how to implement accessibility support."
http://mattgemmell.com/2010/12/19/accessibility-for-iphone-and-ipad-apps/

PDF Documents and Accessibility Support
By Ramon Corominas.
"...most of its accessibility features are not 'accessibility supported'..."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2012OctDec/0270.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Selective Styling in CSS3
By Jason Cranford Teague.
"Selective styling is the closest that CSS gets to traditional
computer programming, allowing you to style elements if they meet
certain criteria. This level of styling can get increasingly complex,
so Jason Cranford Teague uses this chapter to start out as simply as
possible and build a firm foundation of understanding..."
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1997937

How To Add Realism With CSS Box Shadow And Text Shadow
By Steven Bradley.
"You can add visual interest and a sense of realism to a design is by
adding depth and one of the popular ways you can add depth is by
incorporating the impression of a light source through shadows..."
http://www.vanseodesign.com/css/shadows/

CSS Baseline -  The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
By Espen Brunborg.
"Vertical rhythm is clearly an important part of Web design, yet on
the subject of baseline, our community seems divided and there is no
consensus as to how it fits in - if at all - with our growing and
evolving toolkit for designing online..."
http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2012/12/17/css-baseline-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Dive Into Flexbox
By Greg Smith.
"Flexbox is a new layout mode in CSS3 that is designed for the more
sophisticated needs of the modern web. This article will describe the
newly-stablized Flexbox syntax in technical detail. Browser support is
going to grow quickly, so you'll be ahead of the game when support is
wide enough for Flexbox to be practical. Read on if you want to know
what it does and how it works!..."
http://weblog.bocoup.com/dive-into-flexbox/

CSS Media Queries: A Quick Guide
By Bruce Anderson.
"A quick introduction and guide to using CSS media queries in order to
make your Web site easy to view at various screen sizes."
http://www.scripttheweb.com/css/mq.html

+03: EVENTS.

An Event Apart Boston
June 24-26, 2012.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
http://aneventapart.com/event/boston-2013?/2013/boston/

+04: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

How to Visualize Your Site as a Treemap
By Todd Moy.
"Early into a content audit a few weeks ago, I wanted to visualize the
website in conjunction with pageview data. I suspected that the site
had a few isolated hotspots of activity and some large dormant areas,
but I wanted more certainty. I also wanted a visceral sense of where
the content lived and what was important..."
http://viget.com/inspire/how-to-visualize-your-site-as-a-treemap

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Getting Touchy - An Introduction to Touch Events
By Patrick Lauke.
Patrick's Web Standards Days presentation: "Beyond smartphones and
tablets, touchscreens are finding their way into laptops and even
desktop computers. With hardware support for touch becoming
increasingly ubiquitous, it's time to explore what new possibilities
are available to developers. This session will cover the basics of
handling touch events - from making sure simple single-tap
interactions are as responsive as possible, all the way to full
multitouch, gesture-enabled, cross-browser interfaces."
http://events.yandex.ru/talks/367/

Is aria-hidden Supposed to Only Hide Content for Screen
Readers/Assistive Technology, or Is It Supposed to Hide Content
Altogether?
By WebAIM Thread.
"Think of aria-hidden as simply *indicating* that content is hidden
from all users. Aria-hidden should not be used for displaying content
visually, but hiding it from screen reader users. However, in
practice, it can function this way, though this wouldn't be a correct
usage of it..."
http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?thread=5654

JavaScript Design Patterns
By Joseph Zimmerman.
"This is the first article in a series about common design patterns
used in JavaScript. Design patterns are proven ways of programming to
help make your code more maintainable, scalable, and decoupled, all of
which are necessary when creating large JavaScript applications,
especially in large groups. In Part 2 of this series, you're
introduced to another 3 design patterns: adapter, decorator, and
factory. Part 3 discusses 3 more design patterns: proxy, observer, and
command..."
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/javascript-design-patterns-pt1-singleton-composite-facade.html

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Take Time to Make Time
By Jeff Loiselle.
"... You have to take the time to make the time. Knowledge is power,
and in the technology field, relevant knowledge is evolving at an
extremely fast rate. If you don't take the time to keep your skills
sharp, you will ultimately be left behind. Devote a small portion of
your day for learning, and know that even a little is enough."
http://webadvent.org/2012/take-time-to-make-time-by-jeff-loiselle

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Hot in Web Standards: November-December 2012
By Lea Verou.
"Lea Verou's final 2012 report on the latest developments at the W3C,
including the FPWD of HTML 5.1, the addition of the <main> element,
news on the rescheduled W3Conf and more..."
http://www.netmagazine.com/features/hot-web-standards-novemberdecember-2012

+08: USABILITY.

Content Planning Demystified
By Erin Kissane.
"It turns out that the only real way to avoid a trainwreck with
editorial work is to get ahead of the trouble, line everything up
carefully, and leave oodles of room for all the pieces to connect on
time. The same is true of content strategy, content planning, and just
about everything to do with content on the web, except for the writing
itself - and that, too, usually takes far longer than anyone expects.
If you're not a professional editor and you suddenly find yourself
dealing with content creation, you're almost certainly going to
underestimate the time and effort involved, or to skip something
important in the planning process that pops up to bite you later."
http://24ways.org/2012/content-planning-demystified/

Older Adults Get More Tech Savvy
By Catherine Gaddy.
"While older adults may have started to embrace technology by sharing
grandkid photos, as time goes on, increasingly diverse use of the
Internet is likely to be seen across all age groups. We believe it is
now time to retire the notion (no pun intended) that 'older adults are
online only for social reasons,' and look at the diverse needs and
interests for content and service delivery among all older adults."
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/dec12.asp#research

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/dreamweaver.html

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/flash.html

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu