[webdev] Web Design Update: June 20, 2013

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 20 06:01:06 CDT 2013

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 10, Issue 52, June 20, 2013.

design and development.

03: DRUPAL.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML5.

Personas in Accessibility
By Steve Grobschmidt.
"A co-worker and fellow User Experience designer asked some good
questions the other day about the merits of creating personas -
including who their ideal audiences should be and how to evangelize
them. We all weighed in, and afterwards it got me thinking about what
role personas should play in accessibility..."
http://www.theaccessibility.com/2013/06/personas-in-accessibility/

Settlement Between Penn State University and National Federation of the Blind
By Pennsylvania State University.
"The Pennsylvania State University ("University") and the National
Federation of the Blind ("NFB") mutually agree to enter into this
voluntary Resolution Agreement (Agreement) as part of the U.S.
Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) Early Complaint
Resolution (ECR) process to resolve the issues the Complainants raised
in complaint #03-11-2020 ("OCR Complaint")..."
http://accessibility.psu.edu/nfbpsusettlement

UC Berkeley Settlement Sets Precedent
By Mark Miller.
"Where the ADA does not spell out specifics, legal leveraging is
filling the gap on how schools must accommodate making course
textbooks and materials accessible.  The recent settlement between the
nonprofit group Disability Rights Advocates and UC Berkley sets a
precedent which proponents hope other universities will follow."
http://www.interactiveaccessibility.com/news/uc-berkeley-settlement-sets-precedent

Mobile Accessibility Examples from Implementing UAAG 2.0
By W3C.
"This page lists mobile examples from Implementing UAAG 2.0: A guide
to understanding and implementing User Agent Accessibility Guidelines
2.0. It includes the guidelines, success critieria, and intent to
provide context for the mobile examples. For background, see the UAAG
Overview."
http://www.w3.org/TR/IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20/mobile

Draft BBC Mobile Accessibility Standards and Guidelines
By Henny Swan.
"...For the past eighteen months my team have been working hard to
improve the accessibility of web content for mobile sites and native
apps. It's been an interesting journey as there are no internationally
accepted guidelines for mobile accessibility so as a result we thought
we'd write our own: the Draft Mobile Accessibility Standards and
Guidelines which you can find on the Standards and Guidelines section
of the BBC website..."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Accessibility-Mobile-Apps

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

How to Proportionally Scale Images that Have Dimension Attributes
By Roger Johansson.
"Allowing images to scale along with their container is an important
part of responsive web design (and was so even before the term
'responsive web design' existed). It's really quite easy - all you
need to do is give the image a width (or max-width) in percent..."
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201306/how_to_proportionally_scale_images_that_have_dimension_attributes/

Must-Know Facts About Responsive Design
By Marc Schenker.
"Today, there's even a mini debate going on regarding whether
responsive design is here to stay or whether it's just a flash in the
pan. Only time will tell, but for now, it's clear that responsive
design strives to make the user experience as comfortable as
possible..."
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/06/must-know-facts-about-responsive-design/

Flexbox Tutorial 2013
By Stian Karlsen.
"In a sentence, CSS3 Flexbox is a layout tool..."
http://stiankarlsen.me/blog/flexbox-tutorial-2013/

+03: DRUPAL.

An Overview of Drupal Taxonomy
By Friendly Machine.
"In this lesson we're going to talk about taxonomy. In my experience
it's another one of those things in Drupal that uses unfortunate
terminology and ends up confusing new users. But the truth is,
taxonomy is pretty simple to get your head around and will be a huge
help in your site building efforts."
http://friendlymachine.net/posts/overview-drupal-taxonomy

+04: EVENTS.

Institutional Web Management Workshop 2013 (IWMW 2013)
June 26-28, 2013.
Bath, England, United Kingdom.
http://iwmw.ukoln.ac.uk/iwmw2013/

User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) Conference
July 9-12, 2013.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
http://uxpa.memberclicks.net/

Usability Week 2013 Conference
July 15-19, 2013 Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
August 5-9, 2013 in Melbourne, Australia
August 25-30, 2013 New York, New York, U.S.A.
September 9-13, Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
September 16-20, Berlin, Germany
October 6-11, 2013 in San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://www.nngroup.com/training/

CSS Summit 2013
July 23-25, 2013.
Online
http://environmentsforhumans.com/2013/css-summit/

+05: HTML5.

Comparison of Browsers on HTML5 Video Accessibility
By Terrill Thompson.
"Browser support for HTML5 video is constantly evolving, including
support for accessibility features. Consider this a snapshot of the
current state of accessibility support as of June 14, 2013..."
http://terrillthompson.com/blog/366

+06: NAVIGATION.

SkipTo
By Nawaz Khan, et al.
"SkipTo is a replacement for your old classic 'Skipnav' link, (so
please use it as such)! The SkipTo script creates a drop-down menu
consisting of the links to the important places on a given web page.
The menu will make it easier for keyboard and screen reader users to
quickly jump to the desired location by simply choosing it from the
list of options..."
http://paypal.github.io/SkipTo/

+07: USABILITY.

Beyond the Content Audit
By Dey Alexander.
"Many organisations audit content when they redesign a site or get a
new content management system. Invariably, the audit shows there's too
much content and a lot of it is in poor shape. It's out of date,
duplicated or badly written. And surprise, surprise-much of it is
unused. So a big content clean-up starts, and by the time the content
is moved into the shiny new web templates or whizzbang content
management system, there's a lot less of it. However, that's not where
the project should end, but often does..."
http://www.4syllables.com.au/2013/06/beyond-content-audits/

University Websites - Who's Making the UX Grade?
By Gemma Maidment.
"Our latest industry report investigates the Education market,
specifically analysing the digital presence and user experience of 10
UK universities to see which university came out with the best level
of user experience..."
http://www.webcredible.co.uk/blog/education-user-experience-report-2013

How to Write Better Page Titles
By Gosia Mlynarczyk.
"A few tips on how to write good and accessible page titles..."
http://www.nomensa.com/blog/2013/how-to-write-better-page-titles/

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/dreamweaver.html

Drupal Information.

http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/flash.html

HTML5 Information.

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu