[webdev] Web Design Update: December 4, 2014

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Thu Dec 4 06:40:57 CST 2014

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 13, Issue 23, December 4, 2014.

design and development.

03: HTML5.

Web Accessibility - Embedding Inclusion
By Jonathan Hassell.
"Most organizations are either oblivious to, or terrified about, web
accessibility...I learned directly where I believe most organizations
want to be from the heads of diversity and inclusion of the top
blue-chip corporations in Europe at a meeting of the Vanguard Network
in 2011. Here, the event's chairwoman spent a whole hour asking each
of the delegates what one thing would really make a difference to
their organization's inclusion practices, if they could achieve it.
When delegates were asked to vote for which contribution they felt was
the most important, the following was the unanimous choice: 'What I
want is to strategically embed inclusion into my organization's
culture and business-as-usual processes, rather than just doing
another inclusion project.'"
http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=1081

Online Security and Privacy for People with Cognitive Disabilities -
Challenges and Solutions
By John Rochford.
"...Web security and privacy technologies often block people with
cognitive and/or physical disabilities..."
https://clearhelper.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/online-security-privacy-for-people-with-cognitive-disabilities-challenges-solutions/

3.1.1 Language of Page
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"The default human language of each Web page can be programmatically
determined. (Level A)"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2014/11/3-1-1-language-page/

W3C Web Accessibility Initiative - 2014 in Review
By Scott Hollier.
"As the end of another busy year approaches, it's worth looking back
at the year that was and the significant contributions WAI has
made..."
http://www.accessiq.org/news/w3c-column/2014/12/w3c-web-accessibility-initiative-2014-in-review

When to Use the Null alt Option for Images
By Virginia DeBolt.
"The standards set in WCAG 2.0 state..."
http://www.webteacher.ws/2014/12/02/use-alt-option-images/

+02: EVALUATION & TESTING.

A 6-Hour Usability Test in an Agile Environment
By Jeff Sauro.
"Agile development often leaves little time for usability testing. By
narrowly focusing your research questions and tasks and using
unmoderated testing tools, you can, in a short time, answer design
questions with data from users. When working under time constraints,
break large studies into smaller ones, and quickly find out what
doesn't work-aligning with the spirit of Agile and Lean
methodologies..."
http://www.measuringu.com/blog/agile-usability.php

The 7 Deadly Sins of User Research
By David Travis.
"...Here are 7 examples of poor user research practice that I've come
across in my work with clients - along with some ideas on how to fix
them..."
http://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/7-sins-of-user-research.html

+03: HTML5.

Sour. Me Fish. Like! Like, BBQ/HTML Is Easy
By Niels Matthijs.
"...when I look at the standard output of most CMSes (and even custom
back-end development) today the output is still light years removed
from reaching that basic quality level that's needed to do some proper
front-end work. They are at the level of sentence 3. They may claim to
output html, but in reality what they output doesn't make the
slightest sense. They don't care about the language that html is
supposed to be, instead they only see abstract hooks for css and
javascript..."
http://www.onderhond.com/blog/html-is-easy

On the Accessibility of Web Components. Again.
By Bruce Lawson.
"...I'm a fan of web components. But I'm increasingly worried about
the messaging surrounding them."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2014/on-the-accessibility-of-web-components-again/

Building an Accessible Disclosure Button - Using Web Components
By Cedric Trevisan.
"Web components are the next step in building modern web applications
and a great way to prototype accessible widgets..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2014/06/accessible-disclosure-button-using-web-components/

Now HTML 5 is Finished, W3C Boss Jeff Jaffe Discusses What Comes Next
By Jack Schofield.
"Now HTML 5 has finally been standardized, Jeff Jaffe, the W3C's CEO,
wants to get people talking about what to do next. His suggestion is
to build an application foundation to underpin the Open Web Platform -
an operating system for the web..."
http://www.zdnet.com/now-html-5-is-finished-w3c-boss-jeff-jaffe-discusses-what-comes-next-7000036254/

+04: JAVASCRIPT.

The Difficulty of Finding Out How to Use WAI-ARIA Correctly
By Detlev Fischer.
"Even with the best of intentions and diligent searching it is still
rather difficult to work out how to correctly use WAI-ARIA - even for
rather simple use cases..."
http://www.bitvtest.eu/articles/article/lesen/aria-confusion.html

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

Writing-First Design
By Jonas Downey.
"A quick way to measure a designer's maturity is to watch what they do
at the beginning of a project...Putting writing first improves your
chances of success in the final product. It's good practice, and it
makes the rest of your job easier..."
https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3801-writing-first-design

+06: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Terms Defined in the W3C ARIA 1.1 Specification
By Webplatform.
https://specs.webplatform.org/html-aria/webspecs/master/examples/aria11definitions.html

It is Blue Beanie Day - Let's reflect
By Chris Heilmann.
"Today we celebrate once again blue beanie day. People who build
things that are online don their blue hat and show their support for
standards based web development. All this goes back to Jeffrey
Zeldman's book that outlined that idea and caused a massive change in
the field of web design..."
http://christianheilmann.com/2014/11/30/it-is-blue-beanie-day-lets-reflect-bbd14/

+07: USABILITY.

The Continued Decline of the Homepage
By Gerry McGovern.
"Google is your new homepage. Every page you have is a homepage for
someone. We must think beyond the traditional homepage."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/continued-decline-homepage

Web, Design, User Experience: 32 Myths to be Dispelled
By Behance.net.
"UX Myths project is a project of the Hungarian user experience
designer Zoltan Gocza, who was also assisted by Zoltan Kollin as well
as Dario Venneri as translator. This website collects considerations
on the user experience, all derived from tests, studies and specific
articles that motivate those working with the web to be wary of the
many, too many, myths that circulate among professionals (and others)
on the subject of user experience applied, for example, to a
website..."
https://www.behance.net/gallery/19641639/Web-design-user-experience-32-myths-to-be-dispelled

Eight UX Experts Tell You How to Create Great Mobile Experiences
By Lauren Cramer.
"We're celebrating the upcoming 2015 UX Immersion Mobile Conference by
giving you the videos from the UXIM 2014 talks..."
http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2014/12/01/free-videos-on-creating-great-mobile-experiences/

Drupal Information.

HTML Information.

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu