OUTREACH PRESENTATIONS (July 2006 to Present)
Listed and linked below are Powerpoint presentations given as part of various outreach activites I have participated in. Athough I have given various talks to school groups, geology clubs, Elderhostel and other groups over the years, this list beings with the summer of 2006 when I started this website.
Please feel free to use these illustrations for educational purposes. The authors of those illustrations or photos not created by me are usually noted.
None of the presentations are annotated. If you would like some clarification about a particular illustration or photo, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Twin Cities Geology- part of the University of Minnesota's Compleat Scholar Curiosity Camp; lecture and field trip given at the University of Minnesota - St. Paul campus on July 8, 2006
2. Geology of the North Shore of MN - lecture for "What's this Rock" program for Sugarloaf Cove's summer field experience series; lecture and field trip given at Sugarloaf Cove Interpretive Center on July 15, 2006
3. Geologic History of Lake Superior - lecture presented to Lake Superior Education Workshop for Midwest Science Teachers sponsored by Sea Grant and UMD; lecture given at the Great Lakes Aquarium, July 30, 2006
4. Geology of Minnesota - presented at a workshop session entitled " Minnesota's Geologic Story - As told by its rocks" as part of the Minnesota Minerals Education Workshop (MMEW) held at UMD, August 1, 2006
5. Primer on Igneous Rocks - presented at a workshop session entitled "Minnesota's North Shore - A Natural Laboratory for Igneous Rocks" as part of the Minnesota Minerals Education Workshop (MMEW) held at UMD, August 1, 2006
6. Precambrian Geology of Minnesota - invited lecture given at the national AIPG meeting held in St. Paul, September 26, 2006
7. Mineral Resources of the Lake Superior region - presented to an Elderhostel class held at Barkers Island resort in Superior, Wisconsin, September 29, 2006
8. Agates! - presented at "Agate Days" at the Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center, October 6, 2007
9. Geologic Materials, Processes and Principles - prepared for Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE) 2008 on-line workshop "The Great Lakes Rock"
10. Value of Water Well Drilling Data in Understanding the Precambrian Geology of Northeastern Minnesota - prepared for Northwestern MN Regional Well Drillers, March 2008
11. Inaugural Year of the Precambrian Research Center at UMD - Successes, Challenges, Future Goals - prepared for the 2008 SME-AIME meeting in Duluth, MN, April 15, 2008
12. Geologic Story of Minnesota (at about 200,000,000 years per minute) - presented at a workshop session entitled " Minnesota's Geologic Story - As Told by its Rocks" as part of the 12th Annual Minnesota Minerals Education Workshop (MMEW) held at Vermilion Community College, Ely, MN on August 5, 2008 (update of version given in 2006, #4 above)
13. Lake Superior - Born of Fire and Ice - presented to an Elderhostel group on September 8, 2008 in Superior, WI and at a public lecture series at Larsmont Resort several times during the summer of 2008.
14. The Geology and Mineral Resources of the Duluth Complex of NE Minnesota - presented as a public lecture at Vermilion Community College, Ely, MN on August 25th, 2008 as part of a VCC-sponsored "Nature Nights" summer program
15. Preparing Students for Jobs in the Booming? Mining and Minerals Exploration Industries at the University of Minnesota Duluth - luncheon presentation given to the MN Chapter of the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) on Nov. 4, 2008 at the Radisson Hotel in Roseville, MN.
16. Copper-Nickel-Precious Metal Resources of the Duluth Complex: Origin and Prospects for Development - presentation given to geology students and faculty at Minnesota State University at Mankato on 11/5/08, at theUniversity of Wisconsin Milwaukee on 11/6/08, and at North Dakota State University on 11/13/08
17. Lake Superior as a Natural Laboratory - presentation give at the 2010 Minnesota Earth Science Teachers Association (MESTA) meeting in St. Cloud, MN on 2/5/10
18. Teminology, Nomenclature, and Rock Classifications applied to Mafic Layered Intrusions - presentation given at Canadian Institute of Mining Workshop in Thunder Bay, ON on January 14, 2011
19. Geochemistry of Mafic Layered Intrusions - Dos and Don'ts - presentation given at Canadian Institute of Mining Workshop in Thunder Bay, ON on January 14, 2011
20. Mineral Resources of Minnesota: Past, Present, and Future - presentation given at Minnesota Earth Science Teachers Association (MESTA) meeting in St. Cloud, MN on 2/11/11
21. Sustainability and Stewardship of Mineral Resources in Minnesota - presentation given at Sustainability Fair at UMD on April 20, 2011
22. Geologic Story of the Interstate Park Area - presentation given as part of the University of Minnesota's Compleat Scholar Curiosity Camp on June 14, 2011
23.Parent Magma Characteristics of Early Midcontinent Rift Ultramafic Intrusions - presentation given at national GSA meeting in Minneapolis, MN on Oct. 10, 2011
24. Future of Base and Precious Metal Mining in Minnesota - presentation given at USFS workshop on mineral development in Superior National Forest on January 23,2012
25. Economic Geology at UMD -Preparing Students for Employment in the Mining and Minerals Exploration Industries -PPT presentation given at the Mesabi Range Geological Society meeting on February 15, 2012.
26. Overview of Cu-Ni Deposits in Minnesota: A Geological Perspective -PPT presentation given at Lake Superior Binational Forum held at the Mesabi Range Community College in Virginia, MN on March 15, 2013
27. Geology and Cu-Ni-PGE Deposits of the Duluth Complex, NE Minnesota - PPT presentation given at Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) - Minnesota Section annual meeting, Duluth, MN on April 16, 2013.
28. Creation of a Center of Excellence for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration at the University of Minnesota Duluth - PPT presentation given at Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) - Minnesota Section annual meeting, Duluth, MN on April 17, 2013.
29. Geology of Minnesota's Arrowhead: 2.5 Billion Years and Counting - field course given at North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN in August 2013 and 2014.
Download: 2014 Field Guidebook; PPTs on Precambrian Geology of NE Minnesota; Lake Superior-Fire and Ice; and MGS publication on Sudbury Impact Layer in Minnesota.
30. Copper, Nickel, and Precious-Metal Deposits in Northeastern Minnesota: A Geological Perspective -PPT presentation given at the University of MN College Continuing Education Headliners Series, St. Paul Campus on March 5, 2015.
31. Geology of Minnesota - At 50,000,000 Years a Minute - PPT presentation given at monthly meeting of the Minnesota Association of Opthomologists, St. Paul, MN on March 6, 2015.
32. Mining in Minnesota: A Rich History, A Promising Future? -PPT presentation given for a short course on "Sustainability of Mineral Resources" at the 19th Annual Minnesota Minerals Education Workshop on June 21, 2016, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN.
33. Geologic Story of Southern Minnesota - PPT presentation given for a short course on the "Geology of Southern Minnesota" at the 19th Annual Minnesota Minerals Education Workshop on June 21, 2016, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN.
34. A Geologic Tour of the Twin Cities - PPT presentation and guidebook prepared for a field course sponsored by the U of MN Dept. of Continuing Education's Learning Life program on July 28, 2016.
35. Geologic Story of the St. Croix River Valley - PPT presentation given as an introduction to a field trip on the Geology of the St. Croix River area at the Stillwater Public Library on August 8, 2016
36. Lake Superior - Born of Fire and Ice - PPT presentation given as an introduction for a field course "What's This Rock Too" at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN August 19, 2016.
37. Precambrian Geology of the Gunflint Trail Area - PPT presentation given as an introduction for a North House Folk School course entitled "Geology Up The Trail" at the Gunflint Lodge, October 7, 2016