What is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is the National Honor Society in psychology. Their purpose is to encourage, stimulate, and maintain excellence in scholarship of the individual members in all fields, particularly in psychology, and to advance the science of psychology. Membership is for life.
Requirements for Psi Chi:
At UMD, Psi Chi and Psychology Club are one group. You can be a member of Psychology Club without being a member of Psi Chi. To be in Psi Chi, you must:
- be enrolled as a student at UMD
- have a major or minor in psychology
- be at least a second semester sophomore (have completed 45 credits)
- be in the upper 35% of your class (last year the GPA cut-off was 3.2) and a psychology GPA of 3.0
- have taken at least 9 credits in psychology
How Do I Join Psi Chi?
- Complete a membership form and registration card. You can download the membership card: http://www.psichi.org/pdf/membappl.pdf and the registration card: http://www.psichi.org/pdf/registcd.pdf
- Turn in the following: a) your membership form; b) your registration card; c) a copy of your most recent APAS documenting that the above requirements are met; and d) a check for $55 payable to the Psychology Club.** These can be given to any of the Psi Chi /Psychology Club officers or can be dropped off in the Psychology Department (see Rae Ann or Mackenzie).
- Deadline for Spring 2013 will be announced.
**The initial membership fee is $45.00 for National dues and Chapter dues (this fee is waived if you have already paid your dues for the year). There are no national annual fees.** New members will be inducted into Psi Chi at the annual awards banquet near the end of spring semester. For additional information, please visit www.psichi.org. To get on the Psi Chi/Psychology Club email alias, contact our secretary, Molly Ohly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of Joining Psi Chi:
- Psi Chi provides national recognition for academic excellence in psychology, an honor which can be noted on employment applications, vitae, and resumés.
- Through membership in Psi Chi, students can gain a sense of community with others in psychology and an identification with the discipline.
- Psi Chi provides a local, regional, and national forum for obtaining information and developing perspectives about the field of psychology, learning about educational and career opportunities, and forming meaningful professional networks.
- Members receive a membership card, certificate, and lapel pin, and, through chapter mailings, copies of Eye on Psi Chi.
- Psi Chi encourages student research at the regional and national as well as local levels through undergraduate and graduate research award competitions and provides opportunities for students to present research and receive certificates recognizing their accomplishments at regional and national psychological association meetings.
- Psi Chi provides over $250,000 annually in awards and grants to its students members, faculty advisors, and chapters.