Sample Questions from Exam 1
Sample Questions from Exam 2
Other sample final questions:
1. Define the following terms:
2. What are the ACID properties? Which are ensured by concurrency control
and which by logging and recovery?
3. Give examples of three different types of serializability problems that can
arise because of concurrency.
4. Explain how a lock manager should respond to requests for locks on objects
assuming that there are two types of locks Share (S) and Exclusive (X)
5. What is two phase locking (2PL)? How does it ensure serializability?
What is strict 2PL? What additional property (beyond serializability)
does it guarantee?
6. What is meant by the term deadlock prevention? Give two schemes for
preventing deadlock and talk about the advantages and disadvantages of
7. How does deadlock detection work? Why do many systems choose to use
detection rather than prevention?
8. Why do many systems provide the ability to lock objects at various levels
of granularity? Give an example of a locking system that might be used
in such a database.
9. Using a logging system for recovery, what happens when a commit command
occurs in a transaction (and in what order)?
10. What are the three phases of crash recovery? What happens in each phase
(and in what order)?