Definition - A homemade trail camera constructed out of various brands
and models of consumer point and shoot cameras, a control board, waterproof
case and accompanying parts and accessories.
from the Trail, December 2006
I began this hobby in January 2007 as a
result of reading the above newspaper article about a friend of mine,
and I really enjoy it. Trail cameras have been around for several years
and so has the craft of making your own homemade version. In the past,
individuals made their own trail cameras out of old, 35mm cameras and
trip lines to trigger the camera. A big thanks to those pioneers of
The hobby has come a long way since those
days. We are now using digital cameras, of which their megapixels are
ever-increasing. The quality of the images is incredible as shown above.
The cost to build one is far less than purchasing a comparable commercial
model and the satisfaction you get out of making your own is great.
I put this site together for my own benefit,
but also to assist others who already enjoy this hobby as well as the
newcomers to the craft. If there is anything people would like to see
added or altered, please feel free to email me at the bottom of the
page, especially if you prefer not to have your site linked to, or if
you would like your site added.
Disclaimer: I make no money from this site and am
in no way endorsing any product, supplier, vendor, technique or individual.
The site is intended only to be a resource for Homebrewers.
- Big Huge Labs Captioner - used to place captions and stamps on your images.
- Ecamtracker - used to track the location and specifications of your cameras.
- Freewebs - used to create your own, free web site.
- Gena Photostamper - used to date and time stamp your image files.
- Gimp - used to manipulate your images, including enhancement, retouching, etc.
- Google Earth - used to view satellite imagery of your hunting area and map your camera and stand locations.
- GPS Coordinate Converter - used to convert the format of GPS coordinates for use with Ecamtracker.
- Jpg Video - used to create a video out of your digital images.
- Sony Memory Stick File Rescue - used to recover deleted files on you Memory Stick Media.
- Paint - used to edit and enhance your images and photos.
- Picasa 3 - used to edit, organize and store your image files.
- Ulead Gif Animator - used to create an animated file from your digital images.
- Undelete Plus - used to recover deleted or lost files.
- Windows Movie Maker - used to edit and create video files.
Cameras & Modification Files (Hacks/Mods)
Equipment and Parts Suppliers
Homebrew Sellers and Suppliers
- Double G -
Sony P32, P41 (servo cable, 2.5mm stereo jack, external batteries, and IR conversions)
Sony W5, W7 (servo and external batteries)
Sony s600 (2.5mm stereo jack and external batteries)
Sony s40 (servo and external batteries)
Nikon L11, L14
- Mohican -
Sony p32,p41,s40,s600,W35,W55,W series, Olympus 370,380,Nikon. Stereo jacks, servos and usb conversions on the Sony W series.
- Monarch Images -
P32, P41, S40, S600, Olympus D380, Nikon L11
3M PT1100 2-sided Tape
- Denatured Alcohol
- Drill and Drill Bits
- Electrical Tape
- Fine Tip Soldering Station
- Helping Hands
- Hobby/X-acto Knife
- Jewelers Screwdriver Set
- Marine Goop
- Nail Polish Remover
- Shrink Tube
- Small Gauge Solder
- Super Glue
- Wire Strippers/Cutters