You are here
Faculty and Staff
Your partner in student success
UMD’s Tutoring Center is an award-winning, student-helping-student program.
Data from Tutoring Center surveys indicate both student users and tutors experienced heightened interest in their majors, improved scholarship, and increased overall satisfaction with UMD a result of their participation in tutoring.
A vast majority of tutors consistently report their tutoring experience fostered an increase in empathy, a greater sense of responsibility, and development of skills transferable to future employment situations.
Tutoring provides an additional interactive component to students’ academic experience. Tutors are trained academic coaches; they explain concepts and model techniques that support formal instruction with the goal of improving students’ grasp of the subject matter.
Did you know...?
- Tutors are not paid.
Tutors receive academic credit for enrolling in the training course (SSP 3003) and completing a required number of tutoring-practicum hours per week.
- Tutors do NOT do homework for students.
Tutors are trained to guide students to become independent learners.
- Tutoring is not only for struggling students.
Nearly two-thirds (65%) of the students seeking tutoring at UMD's Tutoring Center last year reported a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Each department supported by tutoring sets their own specific criteria for their subject tutors.
- Courses currently supported by tutoring
Departments supported by tutoring set specific criteria for tutors and supply the Tutoring Center with current textbooks. Please contact Claudia Plaunt-Martin if:
- Your department would like to initiate tutoring
- Your department would like to add tutoring support for additional courses
- You would like to refer a student to become a tutor
Claudia Plaunt-Martin, Tutoring Center Coordinator