You are here
Students Helping Students
Users of tutoring services report improved grades and increased confidence
WHO: UMD's tutoring services are open to ALL UMD undergraduate students.
WHAT: FREE TUTORING -- Log-in to book or join a tutoring session in the subject area you would like to study.
WHEN: Tutoring services are available:
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
WHERE: All tutoring services have moved online for the fall 2020 semester. The Tutoring Center proper is located on the 2nd floor of the Kathryn A. Martin Library in the Securian Learning Commons.
WHY: Students, who participate in the Tutoring Program, report improved grades on tests and quizzes as well as improved overall academic success. Still unsure? Check out Tutoring Myths and Facts.
HOW: To use tutoring services effectively, successful students should:
- Attend lectures and labs regularly
- Attempt assignments prior to a tutoring session
- Have their textbook, notes, & syllabus available for tutoring sessions
- Plan ahead to meet deadlines
- Contact the TC as soon as they have questions; don't wait until the end of the semester
- Book a space in the early morning (9 AM), late afternoon (4 PM), or evening (7 PM) to take advantage of low demand hours for more individual help
- Use the "Limit to:" drop-down menu in the WCOnline schedules to search for tutors qualified in specific courses
- Tutors rotate on the hour; sign in at the beginning of an hour to avoid a tutor change during your session
Reminder: UMD tutors are provided as a complement to your course instruction. They can't complete assignments for you or just check your answers to see if they're correct.
In addition to the variety of free tutoring and academic support services provided on campus, UMD has partnered with Tutor Matching Service (TMS) to provide another option for students who would like to Hire a Private Tutor.
All UMD tutors listed through TMS are fully qualified in their subject area(s) and have received, or are currently receiving, a full semester of training in tutoring techniques and interpersonal communication to help them provide students with the best tutoring experience possible. Students can select from a list of tutors with a variety of badges (high GPA, UMD-Trained, CRLA-Certified), in addition to their subject area qualifications.
Tutors set their own rates and payment is fast and easy using TMS’s online booking, and payment setup. Scheduling is flexible and arranged between students and tutors to accommodate both their personal schedules.
We recommend students first check out the free, on-campus, award-winning tutoring services provided by UMD, but we are excited to offer this additional resource for our UMD students.