You are here
What are the options for taking UST 1000: Learning in Community ?
Students starting at UMD in the fall semester have a number of options for UST 1000 that they discuss with an adviser when they come to campus to register for classes. Possibilities include 1- or 2-credit classes designed around specific topics of interest. No matter which class a student takes, the material covered is generally the same; the special topics or reserved sections simply include examples and information tailored to the unique focus of the class. Find out what to expect here.
Students starting at UMD in the spring semester register for the 1-credit UST 1000 class. No special or reserved sections are offered during spring semester.
What are the goals and learning outcomes for UST 1000: Learning in Community?
UMD students will find that every course they take includes established goals for them to reach as well as learning outcomes that determine whether those goals were met. The Seminar course is no different.
UST 1000: Learning in Community Goals
- Build our students' competence and confidence in the use of self-reflection as a tool for growth in their personal and educational lives.
- Teach students specific techniques for voicing their own ideas in diverse contexts, and teach them how to identify and navigate their way through environments that feature a variety of different forms of diversity.
- Help students to develop a productive sense of belonging at UMD which serves to support their academic goals.
- Prepare students to be successful in their classes by familiarizing them with the structure, culture, and resources of UMD.
UST 1000: Learning in Community Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to use self-reflection techniques to develop positions that are informed and insightful.
- Students will be able to participate responsibly in small-group and/or seminar-style classroom discussions with people holding different perspectives.
- Students will be able to identify students, staff, and faculty members that they feel comfortable approaching for help with problems or issues.