You are here
UMD's B.A. in Art provides a study in art that is coupled with another area of study, to reflect your professional and personal goals. We can show you how to reinvent and renew yourself over a creative lifetime, beginning with coursework that will challenge you and prepare you for careers limited only by your own imagination.
UMD has something special!
- our deliberate merging of Art and Design in one department stimulates and provokes students as independent thinkers and creators who explore various media and methods
- our distinguished faculty continue to create, exhibit, and publish research regularly, in addition to teaching and providing mentorship and career guidance
- UMD Art and Design is accredited by NASAD, the National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- UMD's fine arts area has two state-of-the-art lab spaces for use by students in conjunction with faculty research: the interdisciplinary Visual and Digital Imaging Lab (Viz Lab) and the Motion + Media Across Disciplines Lab (MMAD Lab), which offers students opportunities in 3D motion capture and high definition video production
A study of art develops:
- self awareness
- cultural awareness
- communication skills
- creative problem solving
- critical thinking
- the practice of incorporating feedback to improve your work
... Skills which are valuable in any field.
Now more than ever, earning an art degree can lead to a number of exciting career fields. As new technologies develop and influence our society, new jobs are emerging for all types of creative individuals. Our recent graduates have pursued careers as diverse as animator, art director, art historian, art therapist, art educator, floral designer, freelance illustrator, interior designer, graphic designer, photographer, portrait artist, videographer.
Admissions and Scholarships
Admission to Art & Design programs is based upon standard UMD admission guidelines. Freshman and transfer students are admitted in pre-major status before full admission to this major. Pre-Art students must pass a portfolio review (ART 902) after completing a minimum of 9 art studio credits selected from the required pre-Art foundation requirements. After passing that review, the student continues as a fully-admitted major.
Several departmental scholarships are awarded to returning Art & Design majors after the first year; additionally, any student can submit creative pieces to the Student Exhibition each spring, which does include several small scholarships for outstanding selected artwork.
Student clubs in the Department of Art & Design vary each year according to interests but typically include an Art Education Club, Student Photography Cooperative, Mud Guild (Ceramics Club), Art History Symposium, Media Arts Club, and Student Design Organization (SDO).
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Art grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Production Artist and Behavioral Technician - All My Walls and Behavioral Dimensions, Hibbing, MN
- Inside Sales & Graphic Designer - Gary Carlson Equipment Co., Blaine, MN
- Freelance Illustrator - Self-employed, Minneapolis, MN
For more data see the Art Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Art and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.