You are here
Art Education B.F.A.
UMD’s B.F.A. in Art Education provides students with the aesthetic and pedagogical training necessary not only to be effective K-12 art teachers, but also to engage in shaping the future of arts in education. The program includes experience in a range of art studio areas and art history, in addition to courses in arts education methodology. Grounded in the belief that teachers learn best by doing, field experience is central to the program, which includes arranged teaching in area elementary classrooms as well as in public and private agencies, in addition to extensive supervised student teaching.
Students interested in the teaching of art may pursue K-12 art teaching licensure through this major, offered in cooperation with the College of Education and Human Services Professions. Students apply for admission to the licensure program and complete the courses required by the State Department of Education and the Board of Teaching.
UMD has something special!
- our deliberate merging of Art and Design in one department stimulates and provokes students as independent thinkers and creators who explore various media and methods
- our distinguished faculty continue to create, exhibit, and publish research regularly, in addition to teaching and providing mentorship and career guidance
- UMD Art and Design is accredited by NASAD, the National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- Museum internships are often available through UMD’s Tweed Museum of Art
A study of art develops:
- self awareness
- cultural awareness
- communication skills
- creative problem solving
- critical thinking
- the practice of incorporating feedback to improve your work
... Skills which are valuable in any field.
The B.F.A. of Art Education provides students with the opportunity to explore creatively throughout their life, while teaching others how to do the same. Through the mentorship of our world class faculty and stimulation of forward thinking peers our students' opportunities are limitless.
The B.F.A. in Art Education leads to a license to teach art in Minnesota, Kindergarten-12th grade. Art Educators are also well-equipped to lead community-based art programs outside of schools.
Admissions and Scholarships
Admission to Art & Design programs is based upon standard UMD admission guidelines. Freshman and transfer students are admitted in pre-major status before full admission to this major. Pre-Art Education students must pass a portfolio review (ART 903) after completing foundation art studio courses. After passing that review, the student continues as a fully-admitted major.
Several departmental scholarships are awarded to returning Art & Design majors after the first year; additionally, any student can submit creative pieces to the Student Exhibition each spring, which does include several small scholarships for outstanding selected artwork and/or research.
Student clubs in the Department of Art & Design vary each year according to interests but typically include an Art Education Club, Student Photography Cooperative, Mud Guild (Ceramics Club), Art History Symposium, Media Arts Club, and Student Design Organization (SDO).
Each student must also gain admission to the Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP) licensure program during the junior year to complete the education courses required by the State Department of Education and Board of Teaching.
All UMD Art & Design majors are required to bring a 15-inch Apple MacBookPro with Retina display. See specs: sfa.d.umn.edu/about/technology.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Art Education grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Art Teacher - Anoka-Hennepin Schools, Brooklyn Center, MN
- Kindergarten-5th Grad Art Teacher - Stillwater Area Public Schools, Stillwater, MN
- Long-Term Substitute Teacher - Cloquet Public Schools ISD 94, Cloquet, MN
- Middle School Visual Arts Teacher - Montevideo Public Schools, Montevideo, MN
- Art Teacher - Parkers Prairie Public Schools, Parkers Prairie, MN
- Art Teacher - Independent School District 728, Otsego, MN