You are here
The Communication program facilitates learning about human relations. how to achieve cooperation and manage conflict. The Communication curriculum includes courses which offer instruction in the production and delivery of effective messages, as well as audience analysis and how to reach them. Understanding and practicing effective communication enhances students' self-awareness, improves students' relationships and health, and empowers students to become active citizens of the world. Students develop conceptual and research competence and applied skills in the areas of interpersonal communication, mass media, and rhetoric and public affairs.
Students who major in communication at UMD graduate with an understanding of human interpersonal communication interactions, the functions of the media in today’s society, the uses of persuasion, and the nature of communication within organizations.
Communication majors develop skills and enhance abilities valuable in public and private arenas.
Among the skills Communication students develop through coursework are:
- Oral and written communication
- Listening, clarifying, questioning and responding
- Analysis, creativity and critical thinking
Communication students also enhance their abilities to:
- Influence, persuade and present alternative viewpoints
- Work well in teams
- Conduct audience analyses
Communication is both an art and a science leveraged for sharing information, achieving understanding, influencing beliefs and behaviors and creating and sharing culture. Regardless of one's ultimate career, communicating effectively is the key to a successful career and personal life.
- Corporate & Nonprofit Communications
- Health Communications and Management
- Media Strategist
- Public Relations
- Content Development and Strategy
- Human Resource Specialist
- Instructional Design
- Campaign Management
- Event Planning
- Business Development
- So much more.
Admissions and Scholarships
CLA is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CLA majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CLA-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
Communication Department Scholarships include:
- The Greg and Sheila Fox Scholarship
- The John Ness Memorial Award
- Virginia T. Katz Scholarship
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Communication grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Shelter Advocate - American Indian Community Housing Organization, Duluth, MN
- Project Management Associate - Boom Lab, Minneapolis, MN
- Talent Acquisition Coordinator - Ecolab, St. Paul, MN
- Patient Coordinator - Fairview Clinics, Edina, MN
- Sales Development Specialist - Microsoft, Fargo, ND
- Media Assistant - Out There Advertising, Duluth, MN
- IT Recruiter - York Solutions, Brooklyn Park, MN
For more data see the Communication Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Communication and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.