You are here
Computer Science M.S.
The M.S. degree in Computer Science provides a solid foundation in research and applications in Computer Science. It is a two-year full-time program, designed for students with an undergraduate degree in computer science or computer engineering.
The program provides the necessary foundational studies for graduates planning to pursue either a Ph.D. in computer science or a career as a computer scientist in business or industry.
The Master’s program provides in-depth courses in these areas of computer science, with a focus on research and research methods:
- Mathematics and statistics
- Computational problem solving
- Software design and analysis
- Programming languages
- Data structures
- Computer organization and architecture
- Develop specialized knowledge about a research area in computer science.
- Prepare a research paper in accordance with professional presentation appropriate to the topic.
- Write about and evaluate technical topics in computer science.
- Work with peers and experts in the field to develop strong collaboration skills.
- Identify and evaluate ethical issues related to computation
Admissions and Scholarships
Applicants have the opportunity to apply for graduate assistantships.
UMD Computer Science students work side-by-side with accomplished faculty to conduct research in a wide variety of areas:
- Biomedical and Health Informatics: Combining computer science, engineering, and medicine – Arshia Khan
- Computational Linguistics - Ted Pedersen
- Computer Networking - Haiyang Wang
- Data Mining and Machine Learning - Rich Maclin
- Data Mining, Database Management and Parallel Algorithms for GPU’s – Eleazar Leal
- Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) - Jomara Sandbulte
- Analysis of Algorithms, Theory of Evolutionary Computation - Andrew Sutton
- Information Retrieval - Steve Holtz
- Natural Language Processing - Ted Pedersen
- Operating Systems & Security - Peter Peterson
- Perception and Computer Graphics - Pete Willemsen
- Simulation and Environment Representation for Virtual Environments - Pete Willemsen
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Computer Science grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
|Data Engineer - 3M, Maplewood, MN|
|Software Engineer - Code42, Minneapolis, MN|
Cybersecurity Engineer - Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM
|Mobile Applications Developer - Verizon, Irving, TX|
|Software Developer - Sezzle, Minneapolis, MN|