You are here
Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences B.A.Sc.
Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences majors at UMD engage in the study of human movement, broadly encompassing the biomechanical, physiological, and psychological adaptations that occur as a result of physical activity and regular exercise.
The Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences begins with an introduction to the discipline of Exercise Science and foundational science coursework in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Additional lower division courses include anatomy and physiology, and technique courses in the assessment of aerobic fitness and resistance training exercises. Upper division coursework begins with the core exercise science areas of Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, and Motor Learning & Control. Additional applied coursework provides further exploration into areas of study such as:
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Adherence
- Exercise Testing & Prescription
- Nutrition & Metabolism
- Strength Training & Conditioning
- Statistics & Research Methods
- Coursework required in both foundational and applied sciences.
- Prepares students for further study in many allied health professions: physical therapy, physician assistant, medicine, athletic training, and more.
- Typical class size for upper- division courses is 30 students.
- Labs in most required courses in the major use the latest equipment and are taught by faculty.
- Study of all aspects of human movement including motor skill development and acquisition; biomechanics; movement efficiency; physiological responses and adaptations of organ systems; anatomical development; and psycho- sociological influences.
- Foundational knowledge in chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, nutrition, psychology, anatomy, and physiology.
- The ability to develop, assimilate, synthesize, and apply multiple sources of data to responses and adaptations resulting from physical activity, exercise, and training.
The Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences curriculum is designed to provide foundational knowledge to prepare students for the next phase of their education or future employment, such as:
- Allied Health careers (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Athletic Training)
- Medical careers (Doctor of Medicine (MD), Nursing, Physician Assistant)
- Graduate study in Exercise Science
- Entry level employment in health & fitness
- Certification or licensure examinations
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
- Actively conduct, present, and publish research.
- Offer numerous opportunities for students to participate in research.
- Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising, and service.
- The professors for Exercise Science courses hold advanced degrees in the specific areas covered in the exercise science courses that they teach.
- Active members of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions and grad programs Exercise Science B.A. Sc. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Personal Trainer Health Coach - Anytime Fitness, Minneapolis, MN
- Exercise Physiologist - CentraCare Health, St. Cloud, MN
- Fitness Specialist - HealthSource Solutions, Hopkins, MN
- Emergency Room Scribe - ScribeAmerica, Duluth, MN
- Clinical Assistant - Twin Cities Pain Clinic, Edina, MN
- Chiropractic School, Northwestern Health Sciences University
- Graduate School, Athletic Training, College of St. Scholastica
- Graduate School, Exercise & Nutrition Science, North Dakota State University
- Physical Therapy School, University of Minnesota Twin Cities
For more data see the Exercise Science B.A. Sc. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Exercise Science B.A. Sc. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.