You are here
Do you enjoy working with numbers? Would you like to learn how to measure the riskiness of an investment? Do you thrive at problem-solving or aspire to help a company create value for its shareholders? If so, the Finance major may be a great fit for you.
The Finance major teaches students the management of money. Students develop strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities to help organizations effectively manage their finances. Students learn about capital markets and types of assets traded in those markets. Students can practice their financial analysis skills utilizing industry-standard databases.
The program boasts a 95% placement rate.
- Understand the value of money, determine whether assets are beneficial, and assess risk to calculate the expected return of financial tactics.
- Analyze financial statements to evaluate the financial health of a firm and offer strategies to create value for shareholders.
The finance major is designed for students pursuing careers in corporate financial management. Graduates of the program have found positions in diverse areas such as Internal Auditing, Commercial Lending, Financial/Corporate Analysis, and Planning & Budget Analysis.
Students also go into positions such as Bank Examiner/Manager, Commercial Bank/Financial Planning Manager, and Security Analysis/Portfolio Management.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
The Investment Club is committed to furthering students' interest in investments and finance. The club brings professional and academic speakers to campus, takes part in a virtual stock exchange contest, and works towards making professional connections in the business world.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Finance B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Accounting Associate - Allina Health, Minneapolis, MN
- Corporate Tax Technician - Ascena Retail Group, Duluth, MN
- Underwriter - Auto-Owners Insurance, White Bear Lake, MN
- Sales Marketing Consultant - C.H. Robinson, Edina, MN
- Associate Wealth Advisor - CliftonLarsonAllen, Minneapolis, MN
- Financial Advisor - Edward Jones, Hutchinson, MN
- Financial Analyst - Honeywell, Minneapolis, MN
- Financial Analyst - IBM, Rochester, MN
- Credit Analyst - Security State Bank, Hibbing, MN
- Associate Financial Planner - TruNorth Wealth Partners, St. Paul, MN
- Financial Analyst - UnitedHealth Group, Minneapolis, MN
- Accounts Receivable Specialist - YMCA, Duluth Area Family, Duluth, MN