You are here
French Studies B.A.
The French Studies major prepares students to thrive as globally competent citizens through an in-depth encounter with French and Francophone cultures and literatures. Majors develop language proficiency and communication skills as they study literatures, films, and cultures of the French-speaking world.
The French program at UMD is committed to an interdisciplinary curriculum that focuses on the literature, history, and politics of French-speaking cultures and societies. Students are also encouraged to study abroad, with opportunities in both France and Morocco. Many French majors choose to double major with other disciplines like business, biology, politics, art and history, acknowledging that a strong foundation in language and cultures of French speaking countries enhances their ability to pursue internationally focused career paths.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Skills in another language
- Analytical, creative, and critical thinking skills
- Intercultural competence
- Any discipline with an international presence: Doctors Without Borders, Engineers Without Borders, Accountants Without Borders, etc.
- English Teaching Assistant, France
- Peace Corps (Africa is most common placement for French speakers)
- K-12 French language teacher
- International business
- Organizations such as the United Nations, Amnesty International, and the World Health Organization
- Nonprofits with an international focus (eg. American Refugee Committee, Global Minnesota)
- Law or medical school
- Graduate school in fields such as linguistics, French and Francophone literature and culture, museum studies, communication, international affairs, etc.
What you can do with this degree?
A French degree makes any other degree more marketable. In a highly competitive job market, having a foreign language is an important and useful tool to set yourself apart. French makes it possible to do good in the world in places you had only dreamt of.
Admissions and Scholarships
- Alayne and Charles Berkins Scholarship
- Angela Marinelli Scholarship
- Frances A. Knobloch Scholarship
- Friends of Milan Kovacovic Scholarship
CLA is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CLA majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CLA-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
Club de Français
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions French Studies grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- English Assistant - Ministry of Education, Primary Schools, Cholet, France
- Professional Hockey Player - Briancon Red Devils, Briancon, France
- Customer Care Advocate - Portico Benefit Services, Minneapolis, MN
- Business Analyst - Willis Towers Watson, Minneapolis, MN
For more data see the French Studies Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about French Studies and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.