You are here
Health Care Management B.B.A.
Do you enjoy helping others? Would you like to be part of the health care industry without being a medical or nursing professional? Do you aspire to influence policy and procedures in a health care setting with the goal of serving patients and stakeholders? If so, the Health Care Management (HCM) major may be a great fit for you.
The HCM major prepares students for administration, financing, and economics roles in the health services sector. Students hone their management skills while gaining solid understanding of the US health care system. UMD’s HCM major meets the rigorous certification standards of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA).
- The program boasts a 100% placement rate.
- Gain a solid foundation in business and health care, learn how to evaluate health care programs, and be able to apply data-based decision techniques.
- Learn the role of various stakeholders in the US health care system and how the system is funded and regulated.
The HCM major is a great choice for students who want a management career within a healthcare setting. Opportunities for graduates exist in a variety of organizations, such as Hospitals, Clinics (including dental, specialty, and primary care organizations), Health Insurance and Managed Care Organizations, Pharmacy Benefit Management Firms, Assisted Living Facilities, Government Agencies (e.g. departments of health and human services), Medical Devices, and Health Information Technology Firms.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
The Student Healthcare Management Association (SHMA) invites successful UMD HCM alumni and professionals from around the Duluth community and state as guest speakers. It also coordinates community volunteer opportunities and does fundraising for organizations such as the Walk to End Alzheimer’s and the Relay for Life. Members also take tours of local healthcare facilities and participate in social/networking events with peers and professionals.
HCM faculty have several years of experience working in the industry. Two of the faculty members, Dr. Kim Dauner and Dr. Jen Schultz, serve as co-directors of the UMD HCM program. HCM program is certified by the Association for University Programs in Health Administration.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions and grad programs Health Care Management B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Talent Acquisition Specialist - Cirrus Aircraft, Duluth, MN
- Human Resource Coordinator - maurices, Duluth, MN
- Plant Operations Trainer, Human Resources Generalist - Polaris, Roseau, MN
- Diversity & Inclusion, ADA, & Affirmative Action Program Assistant - State of Minnesota, Department of Natural Resources, St. Paul, MN
- Human Resources Generalist - The Duluth Bethel, Duluth, MN
- Graduate School, Human Resources & Industrial Relations, University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Law School, University of St. Thomas School of Law
For more data see the Health Care Management B.B.A. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Health Care Management B.B.A. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.