You are here
Industrial Engineering B.S.I.E.
The mission of the bachelor of science in industrial engineering program is to deliver a hands-on, laboratory-intensive undergraduate education that provides students with the tools and skills to excel in the profession as they pursue lifelong learning and make positive contributions to society. The program emphasizes integrated systems and offers unique opportunities for undergraduate research.
- Active learning environment
- Access to state-of-the–art instrumentation
- Focus on undergraduate teaching and research
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
Mechanical & Industrial Engineering graduates are qualified for employment in a wide variety of organizations, both public and private. Industrial engineers must work well on teams because they need help from others to collect information about problems and to implement solutions. For example, recent graduates have taken positions with the following: Apple, Altec, Amsoil, Boston Scientific, Cirrus, Honeywell, Northern Tool, St. Jude Medical, Target Corp., Tundra Innovations and the United States Air Force.
We have multiple student clubs that our students partake in. The Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, the largest professional society dedicated solely to the support of the industrial Engineering profession and individuals involved with improving quality and encourage engineering careers.
The Formula Society of Automotive Engineers is a diverse set of students ed by the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering department at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD). The groups goal is to design, construct, and test a Formula 1 style racecar in order to compete in the annual nationwide Formula SAE competition.
Our Department is also home to the Bulldog Rocketry team, the Clean Snowmobile club, the Minnesota Society of professional, the Order of the Engineer, Society of Women Engineers, and the Tau Beta Pi.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Industrial Engineering grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Contract Manufacturing Engineer - Boston Scientific, MN
- Quality Engineer - Ecolab, Dallas, TX
- Manufacturing Engineer - Ingersoll Rand, La Crosse, WI
- Integrity Engineer - Lake Superior Consulting, Duluth, MN
- Operations Engineer - Mendell, Lakeville, MN