You are here
International Studies B.A.
Want to change the world? Can’t do it without understanding multiple perspectives: global, cultural, national …
So you think you have issues? Now think about the challenges and opportunities for the global community or even different regions of the world.
- Flexibility to choose your own focus from a long list of electives, covering many different disciplines, including Anthropology, Art History, Communications, Political Science…
- Numerous short-term study abroad program opportunities through CAHSS and other College departments.
- INTS faculty who are known internationally, leaders in their fields, and who care about students.
NTS courses focus on global issues and are distinguished by, and must address three factors:
- the interaction of cultures or ideas from varying international perspectives;
- the issues between and/or among countries; and
- the current implications of the subject.
- Ability to achieve mutually acceptable solutions by understanding issues from a variety of perspectives.
- Being a Leader. Harness the power of your own mind through analysis and logic, synthesizing and applying information, and innovation of thought. Know what will work, where and why.
- Communicating your ideas successfully to an audience of untold perspectives.
Every career requires a knowledge of world affairs. Our majors have become members of NGOs, community advocates, community organizers, corporate trainers, business developers, and operations coordinators all of which are in the US and abroad. Our majors are also English teachers abroad, lawyers, graduate students in a number of disciplines, and have followed careers in the military and in government.
Admissions and Scholarships
CAHSS is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CAHSS majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CAHSS-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions and grad programs International Studies B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Language & Culture Assistant - Community of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
- Human Resource Assistant - United States Department of Agriculture, Minneapolis, MN
- Graduate School, Diplomacy & International Relations, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- Graduate School, Poverty, Inequality & Development, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
For more data see the International Studies B.A. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about International Studies B.A. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.