You are here
In an ever-changing media environment, this minor exposes students to a toolbox of skills and a critical study of mass media. Students are allowed to choose electives in the program that will further complement their area of study.
- Strong focus on studying the role of journalism in a changing world
- Personal connections between faculty and student
- Customizable degree options based on student interests
- Faculty with real-world, industry experience
- Strong alumni network connects to our students to jobs and career mentoring
- Demonstrate how the journalistic approach to problem solving and storytelling can produce locally engaged, globally competent citizens
- Demonstrate competence in a core set of Journalistic crafts in reporting, research and storytelling
- Express a critical understanding of the contextual factors that shape the media message.
- Produce journalistic work that showcases an area of specialization that draws on the creativity and entrepreneurial spirit of the student
- Demonstrate a problem-solving approach to the practice of Journalism that will give the student confidence and professional agility to respond to a changing market
- Compile a portfolio of work that demonstrates work produced in a professional media setting.
Journalists are inquisitive. They want to know what’s going on in the world, and they want to know why. Journalists have a powerful urge to communicate. They want to share what they’ve learned.
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communication
- Health Communication
- Local Television News
- Multimedia Journalism
- Publishing (newspaper, magazine, book)
- Electronic media
- Graduate and Law School
Admissions and Scholarships
CAHSS is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CAHSS majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CAHSS-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
- The Larry Oakes Journalism Scholarship
- The Gustaf A. and Mary V. Nordin Memorial Scholarship
- The Steven R. Fox Journalism Scholarship