You are here
Marketing and Graphic Design B.B.A.
Do you enjoy being creative? Would you like to create design solutions that solve business problems? Do you thrive working in a team setting or aspire to help a company better promote its products and services? If so, the Marketing and Graphic Design (MGD) major may be a great fit for you.
The MGD major combines two high-demand skill sets into one major: marketing and graphic design. Students nurture and hone their design skills while gaining a solid grounding in business and marketing.
- The Marketing and Graphic Design program is a collaboration between LSBE and UMD School of Fine Arts.
- When launched, it was the first program of its kind and continues to be one of a handful nationally.
- The program boasts a 100% placement rate.
- Solve visual communication problems using conceptual thinking, imagery, typography, and type-and-image combinations with a high degree of usability.
- Work collaboratively with a creative team to research, design, and implement effective marketing strategies across a broad range of media and platforms.
There is a strong industry need for graduates trained in traditional marketing analysis who also possess applied graphic design skills. MGD graduates find exciting career opportunities in fields such as:
- Social Media & Online Marketing
- Sports Marketing
- Web Development & Design
- Digital & Marketing Communications
- Public Relations
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
The Marketing and Graphic Design Club is designed to bring together students from LSBE and School of Fine Arts in a creative business setting. As a club, students discuss classwork and ideas and help each other expand as marketers and designers. The Marketing and Graphic Design Club brings in business professionals from different backgrounds who help students understand job paths.
Students in the MGD major are advised by Dr. Marat Bakpayev. In addition to serving as an Account Director for P&G with Leo Burnett, he has several years of work experience in retail and social marketing, including working with brands such as Zara, Bershka, Pull & Bear, Massimo Dutti, and Stradivarius.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards.
Students apply to the MGD program early in their academic career. Admission is based on an interview and review of a portfolio and academic record.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Marketing & Graphic Design B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Marketer & Graphic Designer - 3M, St. Paul, MN
- Visual Marketing Director Specialist - AirVu, Minneapolis, MN
- Marketing & Creative Coordinator - Hoops Brewing, Duluth, MN
- Marketing Specialist - LogicStream Health, Minneapolis, MN
- Photographer & Archive Specialist - University of Minnesota Duluth, Duluth, MN
For more data see the Marketing & Graphic Design B.B.A. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Marketing & Graphic Design B.B.A. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.