You are here
Are you an empathetic listener who is also a good communicator? Want to make a direct impact on a company’s revenues and profitability? Do you thrive working in a team setting or aspire to help a company better promote its products and services? If so, the Marketing major may be a great fit for you.
The Marketing major prepares students to identify and understand consumer needs to help organizations grow by attracting and retaining customers.
- The program boasts a 99% placement rate and is the largest major at LSBE.
- Learn the 4 Ps of marketing - product, price, place, and promotion - and how the consumer interacts with each.
- Work collaboratively with marketing and creative teams to research and implement effective marketing strategies for a variety of products and services.
Marketing positions are diverse and very visible within an organization. You can also expect to shoulder considerable responsibilities fairly early in your career. Marketing majors work in fields such as:
- Social Media
- Marketing Planning
- Product Management
- Marketing Research
- Public Relations
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
ADMAR (Advertising and Marketing Club) is among the largest student clubs in LSBE. Students in the club compete in the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC). The club invites guest speakers from the top ad agencies in Duluth and many past ADMAR members have gone on to work for advertising agencies.
Several faculty members in the Department of Marketing have won systemwide, as well as national awards, for excellence in undergraduate teaching (including two Horace T. Morse Award winners). One of the faculty members, Dr. Steve Castleberry, is a co-author of one of the nationally best-selling textbooks on Sales. Most faculty members have worked in the industry.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Marketing B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Inside Sales Representative - 3M, St. Paul, MN
- Social Media Analyst - Duluth Pack, Duluth, MN
- Media & Vendor Relations Coordinator - Giant Voices, Duluth, MN
- Merchandise Analyst - Kohl’s Corporate, Milwaukee, WI
- Group Ticket Sales Representative - Omaha Storm Chasers, Omaha, NE