You are here
UMD’s Bachelor of Arts in Music is a program specifically designed to allow those who have passion & talent in many fields to continue to pursue a career that involves music. Our program offers students a general course of music study in a liberal arts setting, with a strong overview of music theory, history, and performance practice. The program also helps students acquire a broad and general understanding of music as a cultural/social phenomenon.
Along with the courses required within the major, Music B.A. students must select a minor or second major (outside of Music) appropriate to their academic goals.
UMD hits all the high notes
- UMD has the variety and quality of musical instruction that you would expect from a place three times larger, with the individualized instruction and care of an institution half the size.
- Learn, practice, and perform with students from many different states and multiple continents in beautiful Weber Music Hall, a dedicated Department of Music facility that is recognized across the country for its top-tier acoustics.
- Our exceptional faculty are specialists on their instruments and in their fields and continue to record and to travel internationally to perform on the world’s stages, yet they are also passionate about teaching and about your education and development as musicians and people.
- The Department of Music at the University of Minnesota Duluth is proud to be a fully accredited member of NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music.
Music training hones the following skills that are applicable to any career:
- Self-discipline & persistence
- Research techniques
- Ability to synthesize feedback/constructive criticism
UMD Music graduates continue on to graduate school to further their research or enjoy many different careers as professional performers, music educators, composers, conductors, music therapists, instrument repair technicians, music librarians, and sound editors, to name just a few.
Additionally, as a complement to any other field of work, a study in music opens the pathways to creative thinking, sharpens skills in collaboration and the ability to listen, and develops a way of thinking that weaves together disparate ideas.
Playing music also trains individuals to focus on the present and the future simultaneously. For these reasons and more, music is highly regarded as a complementary background for students pursuing careers in many other areas.
Admissions and Scholarships
Admission to Music programs is based upon standard UMD admission guidelines, as well as an audition (see details below in Requirements).
Music majors can compete for several different talent-based scholarships at the time of their initial audition, and several of the music scholarships are renewable each year for continuing students.
Student clubs in the Department of Music vary each year according to interests but may include Mu Phi Epsilon, Music Student Association, and the National Association for Music Education.
All Music majors at UMD are required to audition for admission to the program. Auditions are typically held on several Saturdays each spring prior to fall admission but may also be arranged at other times. Current information about the audition process and preparation is found on the Music website.
Along with the courses required within the Music major, Music B.A. students must complete a minor or second major (outside of Music) appropriate for their academic goals.
Students must maintain grades of C- or better in all required courses for the major.
All UMD Music majors are strongly encouraged to bring a laptop as specified under Technology Requirements.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Music grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- K-12 Music Teacher - Lidgerwood Public School, Lidgerwood, ND
- Graduate School - Music, Southern Oregon University, Ashland
- Community Music Teaching Specialist & Adjunct Piano Instructor - University of Minnesota Duluth, School of Fine Arts, Duluth, MN
- Warehouse Agent and Stage Crew - Duluth Airport and Renegade Theatre, Duluth, MN