You are here
The minor in Music is designed to offer additional study to students with a background and interest in music. The minor is available to students of any major outside the Department of Music.
UMD hits all the high notes
- UMD has the variety and quality of musical instruction that you would expect from a place three times larger, with the individualized instruction and care of an institution half the size.
- Learn, practice, and perform with students from many different states and multiple continents in beautiful Weber Music Hall, a dedicated Department of Music facility that is recognized across the country for its top-tier acoustics.
- Our exceptional faculty are specialists on their instruments and in their fields and continue to record and to travel internationally to perform on the world’s stages, yet they are also passionate about teaching and about your education and development as musicians and people.
- The Department of Music at the University of Minnesota Duluth is proud to be a fully accredited member of NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music.
Music training hones the following skills that are applicable to any career:
- Self-discipline & persistence
- Research techniques
- Ability to synthesize feedback/constructive criticism
Students with a minor in Music from UMD are equipped with skills that will enhance a wide variety of job opportunities and fields.
A minor shows potential employers that you put in extra effort and have a range of strong interest areas. Furthermore, a minor can cultivate new skills and encourage you to think in ways that may seem unconventional in your major field. Unconventional thinking can lead to creative problem solving.
Additionally, as a complement to any other field of work, a study in music opens the pathways to creative thinking, sharpens skills in collaboration and the ability to listen, and develops a way of thinking that weaves together disparate ideas.
Playing music also trains individuals to focus on the present and the future simultaneously. For these reasons and more, music is highly regarded as a complementary background for students pursuing careers in many other areas.
Admissions and Scholarships
The Music minor is designed to be completed in four semesters, and the sequence can be started in any Fall semester.
Department scholarships are available to Music majors only.
Student clubs in the Department of Music vary each year according to interests but may include Mu Phi Epsilon, Music Student Association, and the National Association for Music Education.
The minor is available to students of any major outside the Department of Music.