You are here
Music Performance B.Mus.
As a professional performance preparation degree that will provide students with the training and experience needed to pursue a graduate degree program or a career in music, the Bachelor of Music degree with a major in Performance prepares a student for careers on the stage and beyond.
Performance students choose an emphasis in Band/Orchestral Instruments, Voice, or Keyboard.
UMD hits all the high notes
- Mentorship by faculty who are active artists as well as dedicated educators
- The skills and musicianship necessary for outstanding performance, beginning with a core curriculum of music theory, history and literature, as well as ensemble performance and applied study
- UMD has the variety and quality of musical instruction that you would expect from a place three times larger, with the individualized instruction and care of an institution half the size.
- Learn, practice, and perform with students from many different states and multiple continents in beautiful Weber Music Hall, a dedicated Department of Music facility that is recognized across the country for its top-tier acoustics.
- With extensive performance opportunities, UMD’s emerging performing artists gain the discipline and proficiency necessary to translate raw talent into a pathway for lifelong success.
- The Department of Music at the University of Minnesota Duluth is proud to be a fully accredited member of NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music.
Music training hones the following skills that are applicable to any career:
- Self-discipline & persistence
- Research techniques
- Ability to synthesize feedback/constructive criticism
Additionally, as a complement to any other field of work, a study in music opens the pathways to creative thinking, sharpens skills in collaboration and the ability to listen, and develops a way of thinking that weaves together disparate ideas.
Playing music also trains individuals to focus on the present and the future simultaneously. For these reasons and more, music is highly regarded as a complementary background for students pursuing careers in many other areas.
UMD Music graduates continue on to graduate school to further their research or enjoy many different careers as professional performers, music educators, composers, conductors, music therapists, instrument repair technicians, music librarians, and sound editors, to name just a few.
Admissions and Scholarships
Admission to Music programs is based upon standard UMD admission guidelines, as well as an audition (see details below in Requirements).
Music majors can compete for several different talent-based scholarships at the time of their initial audition, and several of the music scholarships are renewable each year for continuing students.
Student clubs in the Department of Music vary each year according to interests but may include Mu Phi Epsilon, Music Student Association, and the National Association for Music Education.
All Music majors at UMD are required to audition for admission to the program. Auditions are typically held on several Saturdays each spring prior to fall admission but may also be arranged at other times. Current information about the audition process and preparation is found on the Music website.
Students must maintain grades of C- or better in all courses required in the major.
All UMD Music majors are strongly encouraged to bring a laptop as specified under Technology Requirements.
Four Year Sequence Sample Plans:
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Music Performance B.Mus. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Renegade Theater Company, Duluth, MN
- Graduate School - Vocal Performance, University of Montana, Missoula
- Graduate School - Bassoon Performance, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Graduate School - Music Performance, The Hartt School of Music, Hartford, CT
For more data see the Music Performance B.Mus. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Music Performance B.Mus. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.