You are here
Studying Philosophy prepares students to become involved citizens and to work at a variety of careers in a conceptually and morally complex world.
- Philosophy majors at UMD do exceptionally well on the LSAT, GRE, MCAT and GMAT, and many go on to Law School, Medical School and Graduate School.
- Philosophy students grapple with some of the most difficult problems (Do we have free will? What determines ethical standards? Can we prove that God does or does not exist?), and in so doing, acquire the skills to analyze and assess complex chains of argument, to weigh them, and to propose new and creative counterexamples, and to propose solutions.
- These skills export well into most fields of human endeavor.
- To see more about the virtues of Philosophy and kinds of employment that our graduates have achieved, visit the Department of Geography and Philosophy
Philosophy students learn to think critically, communicate effectively, solve problems creatively, craft logical arguments and spot bad arguments.
Philosophy majors can look for careers in:
- Health Professions
- Local, State, and Federal Government
- Information Technology
Admissions and Scholarships
CLA is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CLA majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CLA-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
- Ehlers Scholarship ($2000)
- Ehlers Book Prizes ($250, towards textbooks)
- The Center for Ethics and Public Policy Essay Prize ($250, towards textbooks)
The Philosophy B.A. requires 31-38 credits, which makes it a good choice as a double-major, as the skills that Philosophy provides partner well with many other disciplines (for example: Criminology or Political Science for the Law; Biology for Medical School; and Ethics supplements almost any career). We also offer an Applied Ethics track and the Cognitive Science Minor.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions and grad programs Philosophy B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Lincoln Park Innovation Zone Developer - AmeriCorps VISTA, Ecolibrium3, Duluth, MN
- Senior Youth Counselor - The Hills Youth & Family Services, Duluth, MN
- Web Development & Administration - YMCA, Duluth Area Family, Duluth, MN
- Graduate School, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Law School, University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, Tucson, AZ