You are here
Psychology majors at UMD learn to apply psychological theories to help a broad range of people in the community. The Bachelor of Applied Science degree in psychology offers students an exciting array of applied, research, and theoretical learning opportunities. Students and faculty do work related to:
- Industrial-organizational issues
- Behavior analysis
- Social psychology
- Mental health of children and families
- Addictive behavior
- Psychophysiology, and more
- Students gain research experience by designing and conducting their own psychological studies
- Affiliations with dozens of service providers, institutions and agencies in the Duluth area
- Laboratories for psycho-physiology/cognitive neuroscience are used for applied learning
- Class size for upper-division courses generally 30 students
- Many classes are offered online which provides flexible learning options for students
Students will understand major theories and findings in psychology, communicate and apply psychological principles to personal, social, and organizational issues, and conduct, interpret, and report data analysis.
- Behavioral Health
- Case Management
- Human Resources
- Human/Social Services
- Clinical and Counseling Psychology
- School Psychology
- Legal and Forensic Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
Any student may be admitted to the department as a Pre-psychology major. Students who have completed General Psychology (Psy 1003), have at least 24 total credits, and have a minimum GPA of 2.50 may declare Psychology as their major.
Students who wish to pursue the B.A.S. degree in psychology may declare the program as a pre-major at any time providing their cumulative GPA is at least 2.00. Students may declare their intent to pursue the degree at the CEHSP´s Advising and Academic Services Office. Progress toward completion of degree requirements is continuously tracked by the UMD Registrar's APAS system.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions and graduate programs Psychology grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Crisis Advocate - Cornerstone, Bloomington, MN
- Behavioral Health Technician - Essentia Health, Duluth, MN
- Employment Specialist - Express Employment Professionals, Bloomington, MN
- Mental Health Practitioner - Helena Autism Therapy Center, Fridley, MN
- Women’s Advocate - Safe Haven Shelter & Resource Center, Duluth, MN
- IT Recruiter - Tech Systems, Bloomington, MN
- Graduate School, Behavioral Analysis, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Graduate School, School Psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Law School, University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minneapolis, MN