You are here
Public Health B.A.Sc
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Public Health prepares graduates to practice in a variety of sites, such as public health departments, nonprofit agencies, hospitals, businesses, and educational institutions.
Students following the School Health concentration will be eligible for health education teacher licensure in grades 5-12. As health education specialists, students are prepared to assess, plan, implement, deliver, administer, and evaluate health education programs that promote health and prevent disease. The program provides students with a content rich, professionally approved curriculum that includes state-of-the art technology skills, field experiences, and public engagement.
Students in the Community Education & Promotion concentration are prepared to assess, plan, implement, deliver, administer, and evaluate health education programs that promote health and prevent disease.
The program provides students with a content rich, professionally approved curriculum that includes state-of-the art technology skills, field experiences, and public engagement. Students with this degree and concentration are qualified to sit for Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.
- Positive learning environment that promotes community, support, and excellence.
- Involvement in student groups and professional organizations.
- Community-based learning experiences.
- Undergraduate opportunities for research.
- Work with peers and community members of diverse backgrounds.
- Internship and assistantship experience in real-world settings.
- Study abroad opportunities.
- Students will gain experiential understanding of areas of responsibility of a health education specialist through active learning.
- Effectively communicate through several mediums including oral, written, and multimedia.
- Understand theories and research used in health education.
- Work with diverse people in determining their needs for public health programming.
- Students gain health literacy: the ability to access, understand, appraise, apply, and advocate for health information and services in order to maintain or enhance one's own health and the health of others. (School Concentration)
- Graduates are prepared to teach to SHAPE America standards. (School Concentration)
Entry level positions:
- Community Health Education Specialist
- Development Specialist
- Health Coach
- Patient Education Coordinator
- Prevention Program Director
- Wellness Coordinator
- Middle and High School Health Education Teacher (School concentration)
Advanced Degrees in:
- Occupational Therapy
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Risk Control
- Public Health
- Sports Administration and Leadership
Admissions and Scholarships
Public Health students have the ability to apply for 3 scholarships specific to their major. Students working towards becoming a licensed health teacher (school health concentration) can apply for the Maulius and Mildred Brink Education Scholarship, a full-tuition scholarship!
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
- Actively conduct research in integrative medicine use, arts & health, health disparities, obesity prevention, maternal-child health, American Indian health, and rural health, collaborative online international learning, and health coaching.
- Research grants from the National Institutes of Health, the Healthy Foods Health Lives Institute, and the St. Luke’s Foundation.
- Have co-presented with undergraduate students at state, national, and international conferences.
- Active in international, local, interdisciplinary, and collaborative research.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Public Health B.A.Sc grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Provider Services Senior Associate - Cigna, Eden Prairie, MN
- Safety & Health Field Coordinator - M.J. Electric, Iron Mountain, MI
- Regulatory Coordinator - Pace Analytical, Maplewood, MN
- Program Coordinator - The National Rural Health Resource Center, Duluth, MN
- Medical Scribe - Twin Cities Orthopedics, Minneapolis, MN