You are here
Teaching Mathematics B.A.Sc.
Love math, and want to share your enthusiasm with young people? As a teaching math major at UMD, you will expand your mathematical knowledge and develop your teaching skills. You'll learn and pass on your mathematics knowledge through coursework and hands-on classroom experiences.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in Teaching Mathematics grades 5-12.
- Program is relevant and current, faculty engage in best practices, professional collaborations, and research in education.
- Field-based program with many weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- Opportunity to student teach abroad.
- STEP candidates classroom hours
- Block 1 = 60 hours
- Block 2 = 60 hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks = 640 hours
- Grand total of 760 hours in the classroom.
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Understand use of data for instructional and program improvement.
Entry level positions include elementary, middle or high school teacher, student affairs, human resources. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, Community College instructor and School Counselor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
UMD's Education Department has over 25 scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000. Scholarships vary in criteria and some are specifically for subject areas or students entering student teaching in the US or starting their student teaching abroad.
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service.
Faculty members are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers, curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Mathematics grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- 8th Grade Mathematics Teacher - Bloomington Public Schools, Bloomington, MN
- Mathematics Teacher - Cherry Creek Schools, Aurora, CO
- High School Mathematics Teacher - Chisholm Public Schools, Chisholm, MN
- Mathematics Teacher - School District of Maple, Maple, WI
- Mathematics Teacher - Stella Maris Academy, Duluth, MN