You are here
Teaching World Languages (Spanish, French, and German) B.A.A.
Learning a second language opens up a world of possibilities. Become fully immersed in a second language through coursework, volunteering and study abroad, then pass on your knowledge and enthusiasm to young people. Choose French, German or Spanish, and become eligible for licensure in K-12 World Languages and Cultures.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in World Languages & Culture Grades K -12.
- Field-based program with many weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- Opportunity to study and/or student teach abroad (8 weeks in MN and 8 weeks in either Ireland or Slovenia).
- STEP candidates classroom hours:
- Block 1 = 60 hours
- Block 2 = 60 hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks = 640 hrs.
- Grand total of 760 hours in the classroom.
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Be engaged through active learning.
Entry level positions include elementary, middle or high school teacher, translator, interpreter. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, School Counselor, Superintendent.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
UMD's Education Department has over 25 scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000. Scholarships vary in criteria and some are specifically for subject areas or students entering student teaching in the US or starting their student teaching abroad.
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service. They are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers and curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Foreign Languages grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- German & Social Studies Teacher - Phillips School District, Phillips, WI
- Preschool Teacher - The Goddard School, Plymouth, MN
- Spanish Teacher, Annandale Public Schools, Annandale, MN
- STINTer, Intern - Campus Crusade for Christ, Cru, Trujillo Province, Peru
- High School Spanish Teacher, Eden Prairie Schools, Eden Prairie, MN
- Spanish Teacher, North Branch Area Public Schools, North Branch, MN
For more data see the Teaching French Graduate Follow-Up Report, Teaching German Graduate Follow-Up Report, & Teaching Spanish Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Teaching Foreign Languages and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.