You are here
Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor
Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies is an interdisciplinary field that includes the study of
1) the experiences, conditions and social realities of women of different races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, classes, abilities, and sexual orientations in a global context;
2) the ways in which gender, sexuality, race, and class intersect and
3) feminist, queer and anti-racist scholarship.
- The mission of the program is to prepare students for meaningful participation and contribution in an inclusive and diverse society; to be local, national, and global citizens; and to participate effectively and contribute meaningfully in a diverse workplace.
- The WGSS program at UMD is very personalized. Faculty get to know you and commit to ensuring students attain their full capabilities and potential while at UMD.
- WGSS courses are very interactive. All classes are student centered and students learn through exploration and discovery.
- We are social justice and social transformation focused with a strong history of collaborating with community organizations. They are many opportunities to organize, to intern, and to effect social change.
- Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies majors develop:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Analytical creative and critical thinking skills
- The ability to influence, persuade, and present alternative viewpoints
- The ability to analyze root causes of social problems and work towards solutions
The minor prepares students to think multidimensionally, critically and intersectionally. Our students learn to question power and structural arrangements and ask key questions using multiple lenses of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, physical ability, and among all human differences. Armed with this knowledge most of our student pursue careers in nonprofit, and/or non-governmental organizations. Others use the minor to purse careers in law, health care, business, education, human services, or politics.
- Advocate for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence
- Communications consultant
- Congressional aide
- Law (prepares one for law school)
- Midwife, sexual assault nurse, or other health related fields
- United Nations, Unicef, AMREF
- Equity and diversity specialist in schools, universities, hospitals, corporations.
- FCU (Feminist Consciousness United) is a student run organization at UMD.
- The Women’s Resource and Action Center (WRAC) is available to all students.
We have multitalented faculty with diverse origins and research interests. Some of the research interests are Women’s rights, LGBTQI issues, racial justice, health issues, food, grassroots activism, media analysis, and global issues.