You are here
Planning Your Career
Planning for your career is an ongoing process that includes assessing yourself and exploring career and educational options. Although it appears career planning should be an orderly straightforward process, it often is not.
UMD Career and Internship Services is here to assist you. Our best advice is to start early! Learn more about how we can help by visiting our office and connecting with us on social media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, "Peer into Your Career" blog and Pinterest.
Our goal is for you to be able to:
Explore how your interests, skills, values, strengths, and identities impact your educational and career roadmap
- Make an appointment today. Get your questions answered and discuss educational and career possibilities.
- Take a career assessment. Choose the Strong Interest Inventory, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, and/or CliftonStrengths for Students.
- Embrace the value you bring. Discuss how your, and others', unique background and identities add to our global community.
- Explore & choose majors. Use the UMD Catalog, What Can I Do With This Major?, and our Love Your Major resources.
- Discover careers. Find key skills, salaries, educational requirements, and more in the Occupational Outlook Handbook, O*Net OnLine, and our UMD Graduate Follow-up Report.
Engage in meaningful experiences to shape your roadmap.
- Gather insight. Conduct informational interviews or job shadows with professionals. Explore Candid Career, LinkedIn, and Peer Into Your Career blog.
- Search for internships, jobs, and volunteer positions. Create your GoldPASS powered by Handshake profile.
- Get involved! Participate in internships, co-ops, research projects, UMD student organizations, community organizations, UMD study abroad, clinical or field-work, tribal/cultural experiences, part-time or summer jobs, military service, and/or volunteering to gain experience and skills.
- Attend events related to internships, jobs, and graduate & professional schools. Explore opportunities, practice talking to employers & representatives, and get career advice.
Design your roadmap and ways to demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Update or write your resume & cover letter. Use the Career Handbook for tips and have them reviewed by a peer or professional in our office.
- Practice and improve your interviewing skills. Check out the interviewing section of our website for tips, schedule a practice interview appointment, and use InterviewStream.
- Apply to graduate or professional school. Explore our Preparing and Applying for Graduate and Professional School resource for personal statement and diversity statement tips, and more! Have your application materials reviewed.
- Update your LinkedIn and GoldPASS powered by Handshake profiles. Follow or connect with faculty, staff, alum, employers, & organizations, and apply for jobs & internships.
- Attend internship & job fairs. Communicate with employers and take steps to obtain an internship or job.