You are here
COVID-19 update for employers
In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, most UMD staff and faculty are working remotely, and in-person instruction has been suspended through the end of the semester. While these changes may impact your Spring recruitment efforts, we want you to know that we are still here to assist you with effective alternative options.
Here are just some ways you can continue to connect with our students:
- Post your open opportunities on GoldPASS powered by Handshake
- If you are UMN alumni, connect with students and other alumni through the Maroon and Gold Network.
- Connect with UMD students via Zoom, Google Chat or InterviewStream. Interviewstream is temporarily offering its services for free.
- Consider connecting with students through live or recorded webinars, informational sessions, and fairs. Advertise these events on GoldPASS powered by Handshake, and tell us about them so we can help promote these opportunities to our students.
Please continue to email email@example.com with questions for our Employer Relations team or contact the Career & Internship Services office at 218-726-7985.
Career and Internship Services welcomes your interest in hiring University of Minnesota Duluth students and alumni. Career and Internship Services is a centralized office serving UMD students in all majors. We can facilitate your contact with students and alumni for internships and full-time employment through the following services.
GoldPASS powered by Handshake
GoldPASS powered by Handshake is the U of M's online database to help connect students and alumni with employers, volunteer organizations, and internships across the country.
To use GoldPASS powered by Handshake, go to goldpass.umn.edu and select the Employer Login button. If you do not already have an account, use the New User button to set up an account.
What can employers do with GoldPASS powered by Handshake?
On Campus Recruiting
Recruiting dates are available during the school year and may be scheduled by using GoldPASS powered by Handshake or by contacting our Employer Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose an "open schedule," students will sign up to interview with you on a first-come, first-served basis. If you want to screen candidates and pre-select those you wish to interview, you may choose a "closed schedule." Whichever schedule you choose, we encourage you to consider students from as broad a range of majors and degrees as the internship or job description allows. We are confident that as you make your selections, you will fully support our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity policies. When you visit UMD, please honor the No Smoking Policy: Smoking is prohibited on all UMD property. The smoking ban includes indoor facilities, campus grounds, as well as all University vehicles.
Employer Information Sessions
You can arrange to host an information session prior to a recruiting visit. This is an excellent way to promote your company and describe career opportunities within your organization.
With a GoldPASS powered by Handshake account you will be able to view resumes of qualified students and alumni and contact them directly using GoldPASS powered by Handshake.
List Job and Internship Opportunities
To post a position, at no charge, use your GoldPASS powered by Handshake account.
We will assist you in connecting with academic departments and students to fill your internship needs. For more information and additional resources, see our Internships page.
Job and Internship Fairs
UMD Career and Internship Services sponsors three job and internship fairs on campus each year:
- E-Fest Job and Internship Fair, a fall fair for engineering, science and computer science positions
- Head of the Lakes Fall Job and Internship Fair for all majors and open to UMD, College of St Scholastica and University of Wisconsin-Superior students and alumni
- STEM Job and Internship Fair, a spring fair for science and engineering positions
Register for these fairs and others in GoldPASS powered by Handshake. We also co-sponsor several fairs in the region that are open to our students. For more information or to be added to the mailing list contact our Employer Relations team at email@example.com.
Career Resource Center
Students are encouraged to research employers using the Career Resource Center, located in our office and staffed with peer assistants. Information about your company can be made available to students in the Center.
Contact with Faculty
We can help connect with faculty to exchange information, learn more about UMD programs and promote opportunities with your company.
The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) is a comprehensive regional university. Undergraduate students can choose from 12 bachelor's degrees in over 70 majors. UMD also offers graduate programs in 18 different fields. UMD consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" issues, and also was rated a "Best Buy" by Money magazine.
Other Opportunities to Connect with Students and Faculty
- Present to student organizations or classes
- Participate in mock interview sessions
- Participate in networking events
- Sponsor a table at "Dining For Success"
- Advertise in the UMD Career Handbook
- Ways to Hire U of M International Students (pdf)
- NACE Occupational Salary Calculator Center
- NACE Compensation Data
- NACE Salary Data for Employers
- NACE Salary Data and Salary Calculator
- NACE Salary Data Center
- NACE Salary Calculator and Compensation Data Center
Employer Relations team
Susan Hudec, Employer Relations Assistant Director
Lorena Lane, Employer Relations Coordinator
Kendra Schmitz, Employer Relations Student Assistant
Jill Kolodzne, Director