You are here
UMD may allow for administrative expungement of minor infractions of the Student Conduct Code, if a student can demonstrate with documentation a meritorious reason for an early review of the student’s record. If an expungement is petitioned and granted, the student conduct record will be deleted. As a result, the record of the violation will not be disclosed to external third parties by the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).
The petition to expunge a record is a courtesy provided by University of Minnesota Duluth and is not a requirement of law. UMD has no obligation to expunge a student's conduct record.
- In order to have your record expunged, you must complete all the requirements of your sanction(s) (this includes completion of any associated probationary period).
- If you have been involved in an additional incident, expungement will not be considered until that matter is resolved and any sanctions fulfilled.
- If you wish to request multiple record expungements, a separate petition is needed for each individual incident.
The petition will be decided by the Director of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution or the appropriate designee with appeals being heard by the Student Appeals Panel.
Factors that will be considered in the petition include the following:
- The nature of the violation(s)
- The number of violations
- Whether the student completed sanctions in a timely manner
- The student’s conduct record as a whole
- The student’s responses to the petition’s questions and any supporting documentation
An expungement is unlikely to be granted sooner than 18 months from the date in which the incident occurred. Further, violations of the following subdivisions of the Board of Regents Student Conduct Code are unlikely to be granted:
- Student Conduct Code Section IV. Subd. 6: Harm to Person
- Student Conduct Code Section IV. Subd. 8: Sexual Misconduct
Violations of the following subdivision will not be considered:
- Student Conduct Code Section IV. Subd. 1: Scholastic Dishonesty
As reflected by the Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution Records policy, suspension, expulsion and open cases are maintained indefinitely. Cases resolved through formal hearings are kept for 10 years. As such, these cases are not subject to any administrative expungement procedures.
Please note that this process applies only to conduct records maintained by the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution and Housing and Residential Life. Records maintained by other departments, such as the Registrar or the UMD Police Department, are not expunged through this procedures.
Under ordinary circumstances, the decision-maker will review the request and inform the student of the decision within 10 business days. A student may request in writing that the Student Appeals Panel review this decision, within 5 business days of their notice.
For students who are interested in submitting a petition to have a student conduct record expunged, please access the Administrative Expungement Petition.