You are here
Return to Campus
- As UMD welcomes students, faculty, and staff back to campus, safety is our top priority. We have developed a framework for the fall semester to resume in-person instruction and re-open residence halls, dining facilities, and other campus services in a manner that is consistent with public health guidelines.
- The fall 2020 semester includes adjusted capacities and multi-modal instruction in which courses can be delivered in-person, remotely, or through other alternative formats. Fall semester will begin as planned on August 31.
- The Stop the Spread of COVID-19 initiative is our shared commitment to protect one another with proper hand-washing, physical distancing, and wearing masks.
- Learn more about COVID-19 testing protocols on campus.
- Visit our Return to Campus FAQ for commonly asked questions.
- All employees (including student employees) who are able to work remotely, should do so. ONLY employees designated as "essential" or those who have been approved to work on-site through the Sunrise Plan can be on campus.
- For the health and safety of our campus community, campus visitors are encouraged to limit their interactions as much as possible and go directly to the location on campus they need to access. For the Office of Admissions, please park in gold lot A and follow Office of Admissions directional signage. For the UMD Bookstore, please enter directly into Kirby Student Center off of Kirby Drive via the bus hub. Learn more about parking and door access from campus maps.
The University of Minnesota is closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and aligning our actions with all recommended guidelines. We remain ready to pivot as needed if the pandemic and state or local public health guidelines require it.
Face Coverings on Campus
Beginning July 1, 2020, all University of Minnesota faculty, staff, students, and visitors (including contractors, service providers, vendors, and suppliers) will be required to use a face covering to cover both the nose and mouth at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties (including leased facilities) with the following exceptions:
- When eating or drinking; however, physical distancing practices must be observed.
- When in one’s assigned apartment or residence hall room.
- When alone in an office, study area, or other space or where permitted by an official University notice posted in a space.
- When alone in a motor vehicle or utility vehicle used for University business.
- When unable to wear a face covering while exercising in a campus recreation facility (or during a university-sponsored activity when use of a campus recreation facility is not practicable) as long as all other facility policies, rules, and guidelines are followed.
- When the task requires the use of a NIOSH-approved respirator.
- Children under the age of 2 years or anyone unable to remove a face covering without assistance.
- When an accommodation is necessary as indicated by a medical or similar subject matter expert and granted by express written permission of the University.
Campus offices and departments have suspended most face-to-face services and most employees are working remotely. Find contact information for a specific unit in the campus directory.
ITSS: Call 218-726-8847 and leave a detailed message. Email email@example.com. Submit an ITSS Service Request form. ITSS has installed outdoor wireless for drive-up use in Pay Lot G by Civil Engineering and Lot B by HCAMS.
Undergraduate Admissions: Prospective students and families are encouraged to contact admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org, directly contact their counselor or call 218-726-7171 from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (CST). Admitted students can view all of their next steps. Find current information related to campus visits online.
March 24, 2020
March 16, 2020