You are here
Patient Billing Information
Questions about your account should be directed to the Health Services Billing Office at (218) 726-7070.
Health Services Eligibility and Costs
All UMD students are eligible to use Health Services. Counseling services are available to UMD students at no cost. The student service fee covers appointments with medical providers for students taking six or more credits. Some services such as x-rays, lab tests, immunizations and injections, minor surgery and some special procedures, and medications do have charges (see Billable Services list below) that are billed to insurance. Students taking less than six credits (less than three credits during the summer) are eligible to use Health Services by paying a one-time-per-semester fee, which covers office visits. Co-pays and deductibles may apply as determined by the insurance company; students are responsible for these fees.
Non-UMD Students (college students from the College of St. Scholastica, University of Wisconsin – Superior, Duluth Business University, Lake Superior College, the University of Minnesota, etc.) are eligible to use medical providers at Health Services, however, charges apply for services rendered by any provider. Chargeable services include office visits, x-rays, lab tests, minor surgery, some special procedures, and medications. Non-UMD students can have their charges billed to insurance. Non-UMD students are not eligible to use counseling services at Health Services.
- Immunizations (Tetanus, Gardasil, MMR, Meningitis, Varivax, Hep A & B, ect)
- Injections (Allergy shots, Rocephin, Depo Provera, Benedryl, Diazepam, ect)
- Lab tests (Blood draws, strep tests, STI testing, HIV testing, Urinalysis, Lipid Panels, ect)
- Procedures (Wart treatments, sutures, laceration repairs, skin tag removals, ear irrigations, ect)
- Durable Medical Equipment (splints, immobilizers, ace bandages)
Billing Process and Policies
- All patients are required to provide proof of insurance at each visit.
NOTE: Many insurers require the subscriber's date of birth for claims submission. Please have this information available when you register for your appointment.
- Claims for chargeable services will be submitted to a patient's insurance company, to the patient, or to the parents of the patient, depending on the patient's instructions.
- Health Services does not accept the responsibility for negotiating payment with a patient's insurance company on a disputed claim.
- Patients will be billed directly for outstanding charges.
There are many reasons why you may receive a bill from Health Services:
- We may need updated or additional insurance information from you.
- You may need to file proof of full-time student status, or other information with your insurance carrier.
- We may still be waiting for your insurance company to respond to our claims.
IMPORTANT: If you have received a bill and you do not know why, please call Health Services Billing Office at (218) 726-7070.
Insurance and Billing Documentation
New patients and patients who have changed insurers must complete the Health Services Patient Insurance and Billing Form. Bring the completed form with you to your appointment. (Click on link, print form, complete, and bring to Health Services, 615 Niagara Court, Duluth, MN, 55812)
Health Services accepts payment by cash, check, credit card, or check card. Credit cards accepted include Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. Outstanding bills (120+ days) will be applied to a student's University account with patient's permission.