You are here


UMD Employment

Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. Full-time employment is allowed during breaks and summer. International students cannot work off campus without special permission from the U.S. government.

Social Security Number

A Social Security number is required for anyone working in the United States, including students who work on campus. Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) is free.  In order to be eligible to apply for an SSN as an F-1 student, you must have a job offer.

If you would like assistance with the process of applying for an SSN, please contact ISS.  When applying for your social security card, you will be required to bring:

  • your passport
  • I-94
  • I-20
  • job offer letter
  • DSO Letter (request this from ISS)

Once you receive your Social Security card, do not alter it in any way, such as laminating it, because this will invalidate your card.

Obtaining Your I-94 Number

Students applying for a Social Security Number or Optional Practical Training (OPT), must provide their I-94 number.

If you entered the U.S. via airplane or boat you can retrieve your I-94 number electronically by clicking here

If you entered via a land border from Canada or Mexico, you will have a white I-94 card stapled into your passport. This will have your I-94 number, class of admission, date of entry, port of entry, and status expiration date.