You are here


**All international students who were present in the U.S. in 2019 are required to file taxes. This includes students who did not earn U.S. income and scholarships.**

*F-1 students should not use software such as TurboTax, H&R Block, etc. These are for residents. If you use these to file your taxes, you will be filing incorrectly and could be subject to penalties from the IRS as well as jeopardize your legal status*

Taxes are due April 15th 2020.

Tax Sessions

ISS is offering tax sessions to help you complete your taxes.   There are two kinds of tax sessions:  sessions for people who had income and/or scholarships in 2019, and sessions for people who did NOT have income in 2019. 

Sessions will be offered on the follwoing dates.  Use the links below to sign up for the appropriate tax session.  If you have questions contact us at

No Income or Scholarships in 2019 Sign up here

Non-income Sessions will be offered on Thursday, March 19 at 3:30PM in the Kirby Garden Room, and on Wednesday, April 8 at 3:30PM in Griggs Center. 

Income or Scholarships in 2019:  Sign up here.  

ISS Income Tax Sessions will be offered on Saturday, March 28.   Note: if you have attended an ISS Income tax sessions in the past the session will be different than other years.  Tax volunteers from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus are coming to assist you, and the sign up looks different this year. 

MN Property Tax Refund Returns

You are not required to submit a property tax refund return. However, you may be eligible for a refund (you never owe money for this type of return).

MN Property Tax Return Session


Eligibility for Property Tax Refund

  • You must have been in Minnesota for 183 days or more in 2019 (approximately 6 months)
  • You must NOT receive 50% or more of your financial support from your family
  • Your gross income must be more than $3,900
  • Must have lived off-campus in an apartment or house with cooking and bathing facilities. You must have a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord.

Missing your W-2 or 1042-S?

If you have U.S.-based income or scholarships, you should have received a W-2 and/or a 1042-S (fellowship earnings or regular wages covered under a tax treaty). You cannot complete your taxes without these documents if you have U.S.-based income or scholarships.

If you are employed by UMD:

  • Check to make sure that your "home/permanent address" is listed as your Duluth address. If not, please update your address.

  • W-2 Replacement: Click here for instructions on getting your W-2.

  • 1042-S Replacement: You must complete the Request for Duplicate 1042-S form and email it to Payroll Services ( in Minneapolis.

If you are employed outside of UMD and have not received these documents yet, you should tell your employer and ask them to help you get a replacement.