You are here
Taking Action to Move UMD Forward
The following initiatives were developed during spring 2018 by and with input from multiple campus stakeholders, including governance groups (faculty, staff, and students), administrative leaders, and the Campus Change Team. The Strategic Planning and Budget Committee endorsed the initiatives at its April 27, 2018 meeting.
Goal 1: Provide student-centered, high-quality curricular, co-curricular, and integrated living-learning undergraduate experiences focused on serving the Northland, Minnesota, the Midwest, and connecting to the world.
- Update Plan 2020 for Internationalization, to drive increased international student enrollment and student participation in education abroad.
- Develop additional living-learning communities between academic colleges and residential life.
- Develop an active and experiential learning experience strategy for UMD.
- Achieve universal and comprehensive assessment of student learning at UMD.
Goal 2: Advance equity, diversity, inclusiveness, and social justice within the campus community.
- Deploy a University-wide strategy for recruitment and retention of students of color and American Indian students.
- Increase philanthropic and university support for underrepresented students.
- Develop a strategy to recruit and retain underrepresented faculty and staff at UMD.
- Develop curricula, pedagogies, faculty development, and co-curricular programs that foster inclusivity and accessibility.
Goal 3: Deliver high-quality graduate-degree programs to foster students’ advanced academic and professional development.
- Pursue strategic expansion of doctoral programs at UMD.
- Pursue national ranking/status for graduate programs at UMD, where appropriate.
- Increase graduate student enrollment.
- Provide enhanced resources for graduate students through fellowships, assistantships, and travel support.
Goal 4: Advance UMD’s regional, national, and international reputation for high-quality and impactful research, scholarly, and creative activities.
- Increase endowed professorships.
- Deploy an external communication plan for enhancing UMD’s academic profile.
- Develop an analysis to assess barriers and opportunities to enhance extramural funding for research and scholarly activity.
- Create a formal visiting scholars program.
Goal 5: Advance UMD’s profile as an intentional and pivotal partner for Duluth, the Northland, and Minnesota.
- Develop a plan for public engagement.
- Evaluate feasibility to secure Carnegie classification designation as a community engaged institution.
- Establish benchmarks and goals for contracted research through UMD.
- Identify applied research initiatives and external partners.
Goal 6: Establish and maintain effective and sustainable operations across all areas of the institution.
- Refine and update the strategic enrollment management plan to optimize enrollment levers.
- Develop and deploy program prioritization and optimization.
- Move and track progress toward the 25% reduction in emissions by 2020, and continue to make progress towards the carbon neutrality target date of 2050.
- Demonstrate compliance with university, state, and federal rules and regulations by aiming for clean audit findings.
Initiatives identified for the 2011 Strategic Plan are in the 2011 Campus Action Plan.