You are here
Learning | Wellbeing | Inclusion | Stewardship | Service
We're here for you.
In the wake of the tragic murder of George Floyd, we must speak up and out loud against anti-Black racism and in support of Black colleagues in the staff, faculty and most importantly our students.
We are speaking out against the pandemic of systemic racism that has existed for hundreds of years and is evident in the daily lives of Black, Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) on our campus. Our students experience racism, microaggressions, discrimination, and harassment.
We must find a way forward and we, as leaders in Student Life at UMD, acknowledge the power that comes with our roles and the privileges our various majority identities provide us. Using that power and privilege, we commit ourselves and our units to ongoing and consistent action, including but not limited to:
- Doing the work to understand systemic racism as well as our own biases and perspectives.
- Listening to our students to gain their perspectives and learn their priorities for change and areas of greatest opportunity.
- Reviewing policies and procedures from an inclusive lens.
- Educating students with majority identities about their privilege and help them develop anti-racist approaches.
We will - we must - do better. Each of the commitments above must lead to meaningful change and action.
We have clearly heard from our students that they want more than words. Therefore, as we make this statement, we have created a website where we will publish action steps from across Student Life. We will also report on progress made. We do this in order to hold ourselves accountable and to be accountable to our students. We have also created a form for input and feedback from our students and we will synthesize what we receive and share it on this site.
|Toni Christensen, Director, Office of Budget and Personnel||Matt Duffy, Director, Alumni Relations||Jeni Eltink, Director, Kirby Student Center|
|Laura Haffield, Executive Assistant, Office of the Vice Chancellor||Betsy Helgesen, Director, Dining Services||Katie Jackson, Director, Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution|
|Pat Keenan, Director, Student Life Operations||Jill Kolodzne, Director, Career and Internship Services||Jeremy Leiferman, Director, Housing and Residence Life|
|Mick McComber, Director, Recreational Sports Outdoor Program||Emily Norenberg, Director, Disability Resources||Susana Pelayo Woodward, Director of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion|
|Jeff Romano, Director, UMD Stores, Print Services, U Card||Corbin Smyth, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Life||David Worley, MD, Director, Health Services|
|Lisa Erwin, Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students|
- Success Strategies for the End of the Semester - 4.21.20 Message from Dr. Lisa Erwin, Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students
- Expectations in an Online Environment - 4.17.20 Message from Dr. Fernando Delgado, Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dr. Lisa Erwin, Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students
- Wellbeing and Student Mental Health - Resources for Support
- Student Life Support and Resources - 3.19.20 Message from Dr. Lisa Erwin, Vice Chancellor for Student Life and Dean of Students.
Division of Student Life
Our division is made up of a wide variety of departments, programs, and services that support students and their success at the university. Our services are designed to provide great experiences to everyone who visits UMD. Our partners are found across campus and in the Duluth Community. We're committed to students and we look forward to serving you, working with you, and getting to know you better.