You are here
Career Corner - December 2018
Winter break is a great time for freshmen and sophomores to work on clarifying their career goals
Winter break is a great time for freshmen and sophomores to work on clarifying their career goals and expand their professional connections.
Encourage your students to:
- See if they are on track with the 4-year career plan
- Find out "What Can I Do With This Major?" and research careers
- Read our Career Blog: Peer Into Your Career, written by students working in our office, especially check out "Make the Most of Your Winter Break" and "Making Progress During Winter Break"
- Access the Graduate Follow-up Report to see where recent UMD graduates are working or continuing their education
- Take online assessments to learn about their interests, personality and skills
- Practice interviewing using InterviewStream, it’s free for UMD students and alumni
- Learn to present themselves on social media and use sites professionally
- Prepare a draft resume and cover letter and submit them for professional review
- Read the Career Handbook - everything they need to know in one place
- Conduct informational interviews and job shadows
- Join our Events Group to receive timely announcements about career events
Send your students back for spring semester with some great career-related items:
- Interview attire. Our “Dress for Success” Pinterest board has great ideas, check out our other boards containing additional career related information, too,
- A simple padfolio and resume paper for upcoming career fairs, and
- Confidence in their career plans.