You are here

Important Documents

Important Documents 

Your Passport 

If you do not have a passport, apply for one immediately as processing can take 6-8 weeks or more. You can apply for a passport right in our office's U.S. Passport Facility, in addition to post offices, county, or municipal offices. Our office also takes official Passport and Visa photos, so inquire about our services. You can prepare your application online. If you have a passport, check the expiration date to make sure it is valid for at least six months after you return home. Make several photocopies of the information page of your passport for your own use and pack them in separate places. Be sure to leave a copy at home with your family or another responsible person.

Keep your passport in a safe place while traveling. When not traveling, keep it in a secure place in your residency. If you lose your passport, report this to the nearest American consulate or embassy and apply for a new one. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy. It is also recommended that a parent, guardian or emergency contact also have a valid passport in case they need or want to visit you during your program. For more information on passports, visit the U.S. State Department’s website

Visas & Residence Permits

Many countries require students to have visas or residence permits. Information regarding visas and residence permits can be obtained from the foreign embassy or consulate in the U.S. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate or embassy. Our office provides visa photo services. Inquire for details.

International Student Identity Card (ISIC) 

The International Student Identification Card is one of the few internationally recognized proofs of your student status. It provides discounts and benefits for international travel. The card also provides you with some accident/sickness abroad coverage through the duration of your program. For more information on obtaining an ISIC, visit their website.

Absentee Voting

To apply for an absentee ballot as a U.S. citizen temporarily overseas, check out the following sites: