You are here
Ready to move out?
Learn how to reuse, donate, and dispose of waste properly below to be a green Bulldog!
SELL or SWAP
Selling your stuff is a great way to give your items a second life. Whether you want to sell it on Craigslist or post your stuff to swap or give away on social media…we encourage REUSE!
- Duluth Craigslist (sell or offer up items for free!)
- UMD Free & For Sale (facebook group)
- Duluth Exchange Swap & Sell (facebook group)
DONATE from your RESIDENCE HALL or CAMPUS APARTMENT!
Just like UMD makes it possible to stay indoors all winter, so too can you donate your stuff at move-out without ever leaving your residence hall or Apartment! UMD Housing and Residence Life is providing maroon or blue bins to collect donations of clothing, small appliances, dorm necessities, furniture & decor, and nonperishable food. Items will be sorted and delivered to the most appropriate organization. The majority of items will be kept for our FREE STORE, Champ's Cupboard, and Champ's Closet because we aim to give as much back to our UMD community as possible. Other items will be donated to Goodwill, Second Harvest Food Bank, or other nonprofits in the Duluth community. Look for the maroon or blue bins in these locations from April 26 - May 10, 2019:
- Burntside lobby
- Griggs EF entrance
- Griggs PQ entrance
- Griggs RS entrance
- Ianni lobby
- Lake Superior Hall lobby
- Vermilion lounge
- Oakland Apartments lounges
- Junction Apartments lounges
- Heaney Apartments entrance & Service Center (mailboxes)
- Goldfine Apartments lounges
Bring your small items to campus!
There will be Goodwill Blue Bins in the entrances to the Bus Hub and Library to collect donations from people living off campus. Goodwill accepts clothing for all seasons in good condition, glassware and dishware, kitchen utensils and small appliances, linens, blankets, rugs, curtains, collectibles, shoes, toys, games, sporting equipment, jewelry, tools and books. No electronic waste, please. Visit Goodwill Duluth for more information on acceptable items. For 2019, the Blue Bins will be on campus from Friday, April 26th through Friday, May 10th.
Blue Bin locations:
- Kirby Student Center Bus Hub
- Kathryn A. Martin Library campus entrance
Drop your items off at a local thrift store or reuse center!
There are many thrift stores around town that accept donations of household items -- just a few are listed here for easy reference for you!
- Kenwood Goodwill (Kenwood Shopping Plaza, next to Erberts and Gerberts)
- The drop-off door is in the back of the building, just ring the bell to drop-off during donation hours
- Teen Closet (operated by Lutheran Social Services and located in the First Presbyterian Church)
- Donations can be dropped off on Tuesdays from 3pm-5pm
- Teen Closet is a service helping at-risk youth ages 13-19 look and feel their best by providing new or gently-used clothing for free
- WLSSD Materials Recovery Center (4587 Ridgeview Rd, Duluth, MN 55803 - near the DLH Airport)
Use the Furniture Pickup Program!
The Furniture Pickup Program is a service provided by UMD Facilities Management to haul furniture and other large household items for off-campus UMD students. Appointments are required and are limited. Plan ahead and get an appointment today! See the following guidelines for more details and pickup days:
Guidelines for furniture pick-up:
- Only current UMD Students are eligible
- By appointment only with minimum 24-hour advance notice. There are a limited number of appointments per day
- Pickups are for furniture and other household goods too large for normal garbage or recycling services
- Limited to students living near campus (East and North of Downtown), with no pickups on campus. This program is for UMD student renters, not homeowners or landlords.
- All items must be at the curbside for pickup by 8 a.m. on the day of pickup, not overnight
- Come to Facilities Management (241 Darland) to pick up a plastic bag to cover your items
- Electronics such as microwaves, computers, televisions and appliances such as washers, dryers and dishwashers are acceptable for pickup
- No refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners
- No hazardous materials, chemicals, food, garbage, or refuse
- Cancellations require 24-hour notice
Pick-ups (by appointment only) from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the following days:
- Thursday, May 16
- Friday, May 17
- Monday, May 20
- Tuesday, May 21
- Wednesday, May 22
- Tuesday, May 28
- Wednesday, May 29
- Thursday, May 30
- Friday, May 31
To make an appointment or for more information, call UMD Facilities Management at 218-726-8262. Be prepared to provide name, UMD Student ID number, address, phone number and a detailed description of the item(s) being picked up.
Contact UMD’s Bike to Campus program via email or call (218) 726-8743, and you can either drop off your bike. Bikes will be reconditioned and rolled into the UMD Buck-a-Bike rental program, sold back to the campus community, or donated to the Bike Cave Collective, a charity to get bikes into the hands of kids.