#179. Herring Fleet. 7.5 x 11, etching on paper. "Gilbert Munger 1879" etched lower left in image; "Herring Fleet" lower center in pencil below image in one example, "Gilbert Munger sc" another; "Gilbert Munger" signed in pencil lower right below image; paper size is 10 x 14. Several advisors have suggested this is the English Herring Fleet. Eight examples of this etching have been found.
- Bought at a flea market in Chicopee MA in Jan 2000. The seller claimed it was from the estate of the newscaster Lowell Thomas of Quaker Hill NY whose great grandfather had gotten it directly from Munger. The frame back shows a Fine Art Society, London, label.
- Purchased in May 2000 from a home on Nantucket Island MA.
- Offered at an auction of items from the studio of the artist Solon Borglum; then sold on EBay in Aug 2004. This version has an old M. Knoedler & Co. label from 556 5th Ave showing "P 3645", "F 58055", and title/artist. Knoedler says this label indicates they framed the work.
- Reportedly bought at a Newburyport MA flea market about 25 years ago.
- Sold by H. R. Mowbray & Co Ltd of Oxford UK, probably in the 1920s, and has descended in the family to the current owner in Devon UK.
- Found in an attic in central Connecticut.
- Been in a Pittsburgh PA family for "at least 75 years."
- Rescued from the trash by a New Jersey collector around 1995 – 2005.
© Michael D. Schroeder 14 Feb 2000 Updated 9 Aug 2020 33697