"The Current Population Survey (CPS) is a statistical survey conducted by the United States Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS uses the data to provide a monthly report on the Employment Situation.This report provides estimates of the number of employed people and the number of unemployed people in the United States. The monthly unemployment rate is also computed from the data collected from the Current Population Survey. A readable Employment Situation Summary is provided monthly. Available annual estimates include employment and unemployment in large metropolitan areas. In addition, private think tanks and other organizations use the CPS data for their own research.The CPS reports:
- Employment status of the civilian non-institutional population 16 years and over by age, sex, race, Hispanic origin, marital status, family relationship, and Vietnam-era veteran status.
- Employed persons by occupation, industry, and class of worker, hours of work, full- or part-time status, and reasons for working part-time.
- Employed multiple jobholders by occupation, industry, numbers of jobs held, and full- or part-time status of multiple jobs.
- Unemployed persons by occupation, industry, class of worker of last job, duration of unemployment, reason for unemployment, and methods used to find employment.
- Discouraged workers and other persons not in the labor force.
- Special topics such as the labor force status of particular subgroups of the population (e g., women maintaining families, working women with children, displaced workers, and disabled veterans).
- Work experience, occupational mobility, job tenure, educational attainment, and school enrollment of workers.
- Information on weekly and hourly earnings by detailed demographic group, occupation, education, union affiliation, and full- and part-time employment status." (from the Wikipedia)
Using the Current Population Survey CPS in Social Science Research
Current Population Survey
Current Population Survey (Wikipedia)
Last Update: December 19, 2019