[webdev] Web Design Update: May 5, 2006

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri May 5 06:27:55 CDT 2006

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 4, Issue 46, May 5, 2006.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
11: TOOLS.
12: TYPOGRAPHY.
13: USABILITY.
14: XML.

Board to Create Advisory Committee for Refresh of 508 Standards
By The Access Board.
"The Board is organizing an advisory committee to assist in the update
of its access standards for electronic and information technology and
its guidelines for telecommunications products. This committee will
review these standards and guidelines and provide recommendations to
the Board on how they should be updated. The Board is seeking
representatives from interested organizations and agencies to serve on
the committee..."
http://www.access-board.gov/news/508committee-notice.htm

Last Call Working Draft of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
By Patrick H. Lauke.
"A Last Call Working Draft of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
2.0 (WCAG 2.0) as well as two supporting documents were published 27
April 2006. W3C strongly encourages broad community review of this Last
Call Working Draft, and submission of comments on any issues which you
feel could present a significant barrier to future adoption and
implementation of WCAG 2.0."
http://accessify.com/2006/04/last-call-working-draft-of-web-content.php

Boiler-Plate Accessibility Statement
By Thierry Koblentz et al.
This is a template created by Thierry with the help of fellow GAWDs
members.
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/standard_accessibility_statement.asp

Nearly 75 Percent of FTSE 100 Company Websites Fail to Meet Minimum
Accessibility Requirements
By Nomensa.
"Companies exclude over £80 billion in revenue and leave themselves
exposed to legal action for ignoring the Disability Discrimination Act
(DDA)."
http://tinyurl.com/syvz4

Inclusion Of Cognitive Disabilities in the Web Accessibility Movement
By Lisa Seeman.
"This paper explores the attitude and accomplishments towards including
Cognitive Disabilities within the Web Accessibility movement. It then
suggests practical steps that could be taken to increase the usefulness
of Web Accessibility for the Cognitively Disabled. These steps include
1. Increasing the number of practical techniques developed to aid web
authors produce material which is more accessible to people with
Cognitive Disabilities, and 2. Adjusting the definition of minimal
accessibility."
http://www2002.org/CDROM/alternate/689/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Close Gaps Next to Floated Images in Internet Explorer
By Zoe Gillenwater.
"One of the most common tasks when laying out the content of a web page
is floating images to the right or left so that text flows around them
- something very easy to do in CSS. But when an image has the clear
property set on it in addition to the float property, large gaps in the
content can appear in Internet Explorer. Unlike many of IE's bugs, this
one doesn't fall to its typical hacks. But, it can be fixed. In this
tutorial, you'll learn two fixes for this IE bug."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=B03A6

Eric Meyer: 'The One True Layout'
By Joe Clark.
Joe Clark live blogs Eric's IceWeb 2006 presentation.
http://blog.fawny.org/2006/04/28/iceweb-meyer/

Dave Shea: 'CSS Project Management'
By Joe Clark.
Joe Clark live blogs Eric's IceWeb 2006 presentation.
http://blog.fawny.org/2006/04/28/iceweb-dave/

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Microformats Extensions
By The Web Standards Project.
"Part of the remit of the Dreamweaver Task Force is to work with the
online Dreamweaver community to encourage and assist in the adoption of
web standards. Whilst a lot of our effort has been to work alongside
Macromedia to help shape the support for standards within the
Dreamweaver product line (after all, there's no point us tell you guys
to use standards if the tool makes it hard to do so), there are some
things it's not reasonable to expect the Dreamweaver engineers to
tackle right away."
http://www.webstandards.org/action/dwtf/microformats/

Dreamweaver 8 Loses FTP Login Settings
By Adobe Formerly Macromedia.
"TechNote: Some Windows users are reporting that their FTP usernames
and passwords in their Dreamweaver site definitions are deleted when
they close and re-open Dreamweaver 8 or when they reboot their machine.
This issue does not occur in Dreamweaver MX 2004 or Dreamweaver MX."
http://tinyurl.com/ncp7f

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Usability Testing Tools and Templates
By Usability.gov.
Materials include planning documents, testing forms, and test report
templates.
http://www.usability.gov/templates/

+05: EVENTS.

The Web and Beyond
June 8, 2006.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
http://www.thewebandbeyond.nl/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Object Oriented Javascript - Part 2
By Guyon Roche.
"In the previous article you learned how JavaScript classes could be
written to inherit the methods and properties of another class. In this
article you'll learn about some extensions that will allow developers
to extend intrinsic JavaScript classes such as String, Date and Array."
http://tinyurl.com/qhygm

IE 7 and JavaScript: What Needs to be Fixed?
By Peter-Paul Koch.
"...everybody knows there are a few things lacking in IE's JavaScript
support. The point of this entry is to start creating a list with
specific wishes for JavaScript improvements in IE. When it's done and
when Microsoft starts thinking about the next version we can present
it..."
http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2006/04/ie_7_and_javasc.html

getElementsByClassName Deluxe Edition
By Stuart Colville.
"Anyone who's into javascript will most likely have written their own
take on a getElementsByClassName function. I had a look around at a few
recent examples and then decided to do my own version for fun. Out of
all of the functions I looked at Robert Nyman's came closest to what I
wanted (kudos!) but my version has a few subtle differences up it's
sleeve."
http://tinyurl.com/ln4dd

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Defining the Problem with Tom Chi
By Luke Wroblewski.
"...designers are often able to reframe business 'problems' to better
communicate existing and potential relationships (and outcomes) between
the market, customer goals, and product ecosystems. To further
illustrate this point, I've asked a few seasoned designers that have
successfully defined or re-defined business strategies to share their
experiences defining problems."
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?336

The Ideas Interview William Davies
By John Sutherland.
"Have computers and mobile phones really made the world a better place?
John Sutherland meets a man who says no..."
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1765576,00.html

+08: NAVIGATION.

Maximum Number of Hyperlinks on a Page
By Free Usability Advice.
"Question: Are there any usability guidelines in respect to hyperlinks?
In particular reference to the number of them on any given screen i.e.
a page with say 50 hyperlinks."
http://tinyurl.com/qykkf

Search Engine Optimization: Beyond Search Keywords
By Gerry McGovern.
"The words people type into a search box are not always the words
they like to read when they click on the search result. Here's
why..."
http://tinyurl.com/jdueu

+09: PHP.

Introduction to Maintaining the State of Applications with PHP Sessions
By Alejandro Gervasio.
"n PHP, session management is used to help web applications maintain
their state across several HTTP requests when needed. In this first
part of a series, you will learn the basics of the PHP built-in session
mechanism, as well as some of its many useful functions."
http://tinyurl.com/md4wb

Clue Sheet - Tips for PHP Developers
Trevor Lowing.
Trevor Lowing, an attendee of the php|architect php|tek conference for
this year has compiled a list of the things he learned and the people
he met while at the conference, including links to various resources on
each topic.
http://www.cluesheet.com/

Designing a Database-driven PHP App? Don't Forget the Data!!
By 0_o.
"If you have a sourceforge account, and are on your way to becoming the
best thing to happen to the web since Yahoo or Google, then I beg of
you to put a call out for people who understand database design
fundamentals."
http://tinyurl.com/p8pxg

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Neutrality of the Net
By Tim Berners-Lee.
"This is an international issue. In some countries it is addressed
better than others. (In France, for example, I understand that the
layers are separated, and my colleague in Paris attributes getting
24Mb/s net, a phone with free international dialing and digital TV for
30euros/month to the resulting competition.) In the US, there have been
threats to the concept, and a wide discussion about what to do. That is
why, though I have written and spoken on this many times, I blog about
it now....Let us protect the neutrality of the net."
http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/132

+11: TOOLS.

Spanky Corners
By Alex Walker.
"'Spanky Corners' is an experimental technique for using only CSS to
produced 'round-cornered content boxes' with semantically pure markup.
It does not require JavaScript to work."
http://tools.sitepoint.com/spanky/

+12: TYPOGRAPHY.

Convert Graphic Text to Styled Text
By Andrew B. King.
"Converting graphic text to styled text speeds up your site by
minimizing HTTP requests and reducing page weight. Resizable text,
better SEO rankings, and lower maintenance costs make CSS text a
superior alternative to pixing your text in stone."
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/text/

+13: USABILITY.

Colons at the End of Labels?
By Ann Light.
"...The fact is that in over 15 years of testing all sorts of forms -
paper, web, application, you name it - NEVER ONCE has any user
commented on the presence or absence of colons. They don't notice them.
They don't care. And so I have learned not to care either...So the
thing to do is pick one method and stick with it..."
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3112.asp

How to Indicate Required or Optional Form Fields
By Thomas Watson Steen.
"There are generally two ways of showing required and optional fields:
1. Grouping required and optional fields in different groups
(fieldsets) and 2. Indicating next to each field or label if this field
is required or not."
http://tinyurl.com/zqcxa

Corporate Usability Maturity, Stages 5-8
By Jakob Nielsen.
"An organization that reaches the managed usability stage still has
far to go to reach usability nirvana. Attaining these higher maturity
levels requires many years of effort."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/process_maturity.html

+14: XML.

Microformats
"Designed for humans first and machines second, microformats are a set
of simple, open data formats built upon existing and widely adopted
standards. Instead of throwing away what works today, microformats
intend to solve simpler problems first by adapting to current behaviors
and usage patterns (e.g. XHTML, blogging)."
http://microformats.org/

What Are Microformats
By Micah Dubinko.
"Micah Dubinko asks what microformats are and whether they are here to
stay."
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/03/23/deviant.html

Microformats and Web 2.0
By Micah Dubinko.
"Micah Dubinko begins a new column, XML Annoyances, which will explore
what's happening to and with XML, and beyond, as the era of core XML
specifications comes to a close. Micah will be paying special attention
to the parts of XML that don't seem to work as well as they should--or
just the parts that are the most annoying. In this first column, he
looks at the role of microformats in Web 2.0 apps and services."
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/10/19/microformats-and-web-2.0.html

Microformats in Context
By Uche Ogbuji.
"Uche Ogbuji takes a careful look at microformats and concludes that
while, in practice, they suffer from serious non-trivial problems, the
basic idea offers an interesting basis upon which to build interesting
data formats, particularly in conjunction with complementary
technologies."
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/04/26/microformats-grddl-rdfa-nvdl.html

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu