[webdev] Web Design Update: June 2, 2006

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 2 07:35:16 CDT 2006

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 4, Issue 50, June 2, 2006.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
11: TOOLS.

WCAG 2.0 Last Call - Extended Deadline 22 June 2006
By Judy Brewer.
"Please note that the deadline for comments on WCAG 2.0 has been
extended by three weeks. The new deadline is now Thursday 22 June 2006
instead of 31 May 2006, to allow more time due to the wider attention
that this Last Call Working Draft is receiving. We thank early
commenters for the numerous constructive comments that the Working
Group has already received; the Working Group is already working on
your comments. Please also note the following clarifications with
regard to the review process..."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2006AprJun/0083.html

WCAG 2.0 Comments
By W3C.
"The following pages include various options for searching and viewing
comments received during the WCAG 2.0 Last Call review period."
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_guidelines.php

WCAG 2.0: When I Want a Beer, Don't Give Me Shandy
By Bruce Lawson.
"...The ideal of WCAG 2 is measurable, testable guidelines that are
technology-agnostic, and will therefore not date so quickly. This is a
noble ideal, but the realization is flawed. While WCAG 2 doesn't seem
to be inherently evil, its message is diluted, both substantively (no
requirement for valid code, tables are explicitly allowed for layout)
and by excessive verbiage and jargon. Like shandy, it's not an
unpleasant drink, but it doesn't hit the spot like a nice pint of
bitter does - and that's what I was hoping for..."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/index.php/2006/wcag-20-beer-shandy/

Call for Response from the Web Standards Project
By Joe Clark.
"As I have documented, WCAG 2 turns its back on other standards
published by the World Wide Web Consortium and authorizes tables for
layout and nonstandard sites. It is apparent that WCAG Working Group
representatives from large corporations are a significant factor in
WAI's decision to remove the requirement for valid HTML that was
present, if ignored, in WCAG 1. Products from those companies - IBM,
SAP, Oracle - are simply incapable of producing valid HTML."
http://blog.fawny.org/2006/05/25/wasp-wcag2/

Abandon All Hope
By Joe Clark.
"Were you hoping, as I faintly was, that the head of the World Wide Web
Consortium and the inventor of the Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, might
bring the WCAG Working Group to heel and make them produce something
vaguely usable in the way of accessibility guidelines? Well, you can
stop..."
http://blog.fawny.org/2006/05/25/tbl-jumps-shark/

Formal Objection to WCAG Claiming to Address Cognitive Limitations
By Gez Lemon.
"Lisa Seeman's objection to WCAG's claim that WCAG 2.0 will address
requirements for people with learning disabilities and cognitive
limitations."
http://tinyurl.com/rkgh6

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Maintainable CSS
By css-discuss Wiki.
"Tips and links to articles on creating maintainable stylesheets..."
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=MaintainableCss

Element Width
By css-discuss Wiki.
"One of the most common misconceptions about Cascading Style Sheets,
and also one of the most controversial points about it in certain
circles, is its definition of the property width. The CSS definition of
width is that it defines the width of the element's content area. Any
padding or borders are added to that width, as are margins..."
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ElementWidth

Style Sheets 'Made' Easy
By Lee Underwood.
"One of the biggest problems many people have in setting up a Web site
is creating the cascading style sheets (CSS). The proper method for
designing a good site is to use HTML for structuring the pages and CSS
for styling the content on the pages, but what if you don't know how to
create a style sheet, or don't do it that often?"
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/easy/

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

A Dreamweaver 8.0.2 Updater
By Tom Green.
"Last week before heading off to TODCON I did my due diligence and
installed the Dreamweaver 8.0.2 updater. Later that evening one of the
partners for whom I had done a video tutorial asked me where I had put
it. Turns out I thought she was finished with it and I had pulled it
down. Being the great guy that I am, I opened Dreamweaver and used the
Put feature of the Dreamweaver 8 Files panel to upload it. This is
where things get interesting..."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=C294D

What I Learned at TODCon 8
By Kim Cavanaugh.
"I've had a few days to reflect on the things that I took away from the
latest rendition of The Other Dreamweaver Conference, aka TODCon, and
it looks like we're heading into a period of new innovations,
uncertainty, and great potential on the web. If you're an independent
web developer new revenue streams are opening up for you, and more
decisions than ever have to be made on where you might want to take
your business. Even if you aren't working for yourself, there are
enough trends and changes heading your way that now is a good time to
sit up and take notice. In this article, I've summarized what I see are
the emerging trends, interesting developments, and other factoids
gleaned from the sessions, hallway conversations, and late night
conversations that define TODCon."
http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=3880E

Introducing CMX Jumpstart San Francisco
By Sheri German.
"We are pleased to introduce CMX JumpStart San Francisco, a great first
CSS layout for students and experienced developers alike. Structured to
be as hack free and straightforward as possible, this may be just the
JumpStart for you if you have been holding back on CSS layouts so far.
Like all JumpStarts, it uses valid XHTML and CSS as its foundation and
is 508 and WAI compliant. This two-column, fixed-width layout,
described rule by rule in the documentation article, makes a great
learning tool."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=01219

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Using Eye Tracking to Compare Web Page Designs: A Case Study
By Agnieszka Bojko.
"A proposed design for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
Web site was evaluated against the original design in terms of the ease
with which the right starting points for key tasks were located and
processed. This report focuses on the eye tracking methodology that
accompanied other conventional usability practices used in the
evaluation. Twelve ASCO members were asked to complete several search
tasks using each design. Performance measures such as click accuracy
and time on task were supplemented with eye movements which allowed for
an assessment of the processes that led to both the failures and the
successes. The report details three task examples in which eye tracking
helped diagnose errors and identify the better of the two designs (and
the reasons for its superiority) when both were equally highly
successful. Advantages and limitations of the application of eye
tracking to design comparison are also discussed."
http://tinyurl.com/m9jco

Business-to-Business (B2B) Usability
By Jakob Nielsen.
"User testing shows that business-to-business websites have
substantially lower usability than mainstream consumer sites. If they
want to convert more prospects into leads, B2B sites should follow more
guidelines and make it easier for prospects to research their
offerings."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/b2b.html

Remote Interviews
By DeeDee DeMulling.
"Remote interviews are contextual inquiry sessions without the context.
It is not as good as being there, but it is better than guessing or
only talking to subject matter experts..."
http://productexperience.blogspot.com/2006/05/remote-interviews.html

STC (Society for Technical Communication) Learning Session
By Suman Kumar.
"I conducted a session last Saturday on Think Aloud Usability Testing
in the Bangalore STC Learning Session. Download (PowerPoint)
presentation."
http://www.sumankumar.com/usability/2006/05/stc-learning-session.html

Mobile and Handheld Usability Testing - Why It Matters
By Tim Fidgeon.
"The number of people accessing the web through mobile and handheld
devices is growing at a dramatic rate. As such, mobile phone and PDA
usability testing may be crucial to your business as the way in which
users interact with these devices is as yet relatively unknown."
http://tinyurl.com/pltu5

+05: EVENTS.

ICWE 2006
The sixth International Conference on Web Engineering
July 10-14, 2006.
Menlo Park, California, U.S.A.
http://www.icwe2006.org/

Webcredible Workshops
June and July, 2006.
London, United Kingdom
http://www.webcredible.co.uk/services/training.shtml

e-Access '06
September 14, 2006.
London, United Kingdom
http://www.headstar-events.com/eaccess06/

Paris Web 2006
September 21-22, 2006.
Paris, France
http://www.parisweb2006.org/

Web Directions
September 26-29, 2006.
Sydney, Australia
http://www.webdirections.org/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Making Ajax Work with Screen Readers
By Gez Lemon.
"The accessibility community is understandably concerned about the
accessibility of client-side scripting, in particular using
Asynchronous JavaScript and XML (Ajax) to produce Rich Internet
Applications. Steve Faulkner of Vision Australia and founder member of
the Web Accessibility Tools Consortium (WAT-C) and myself on behalf of
The Paciello Group (TPG) have collaborated in an effort to come up with
techniques to make Ajax and other client-side scripting techniques
accessible to assistive technology. The Web Accessibility Initiative's
Protocols and Formats working group directly address the issue of
making rich Internet applications accessible, and we borrow some of
their concepts to investigate methods of ensuring that Ajax
applications work with leading assistive technology products. The bad
news is that it isn't possible to make Ajax work in every known
assistive technology, in the same way that it isn't possible to get
Ajax to work with older browsers, but we explain the fundamental
issues; how to inform users of assistive technology that a change has
taken place, and how they can interact with the content. To illustrate
our findings, we summarize the behaviour of popular screen readers."
http://juicystudio.com/article/making-ajax-work-with-screen-readers.php

Object-Oriented Javascript
By Tim Huegdon.
"Following on from my earlier post, 'Object-Oriented Concepts,' it's
time we started to have a look at some examples of execution. I'm going
to start with Javascript because I believe this to have widest appeal -
PHP, as a server-side language, is probably of interest to fewer
developers so I'll cover it later. So without further ado, here's how
to objectify your javascript..."
http://tinyurl.com/ns9ec

Manipulate Time and Date Values with JavaScript's Date Object
By Tony Patton.
"One of the trickier aspects of development is working with time and
date values; it seems like each language or platform has its own
format. With Web development, you can utilize server-side code to
manipulate dates, or you can utilize JavaScript's Date object. In
today's column, we take a closer look at this object."
http://builder.com.com/5100-6371_14-6076869.html

Better JavaScript Debugging in 15 Minutes
By Jim Rutherford.
"I have created a 15 minute screencast that will show you how to Debug
JavaScript with Firebug. I cover a number of concepts such as using the
console, interactive debugger and timer features of the Firebug
extension for Firefox. If you haven't tried Firebug yet, I'm sure that
this screencast will convince you to make it a part of your JavaScript
coding workflow."
http://tinyurl.com/m29lw

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Expert Voices (Interview): Peter Morville on Why Information
Architecture Matters
By CIO Insight.
"So it's very difficult to isolate the information architecture from
the other elements of the user experience. You could certainly do that
in a research lab, but in the real world all of these factors work
together. It's quite possible to do a beautiful information
architecture redesign but completely destroy the experience by messing
up the graphic side of things."
http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1540,1965878,00.asp

Dogmas Are Meant to be Broken: An Interview with Eric Reiss
By Liz Danzico.
"Is there a need for a Strunk and White of usability principles? Boxes
and Arrows talks with Eric Reiss about sites designed by the neighbor's
kid, how we didn't get Web 1.0 right, and the Web Dogma '06."
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/dogmas_are_mean

+08: NAVIGATION.

Exploring User Mental Models of Breadcrumbs in Web Navigation
By Angela Colter, Kathryn Summers, Cheri Smith.
"Breadcrumbs are a common Web site navigation element, yet little is
known about whether users notice, use and understand what they are. We
surveyed 4,775 sites to determine how many use breadcrumbs and what
conventions exist, then conducted usability tests to explore user
mental models of breadcrumbs."
http://www.angelacolter.com/site/breadcrumbs/

Free Choice and The Usability of Links
By Kim Krause Berg.
"...Why does underlining words that don't link anywhere matter? The
first reason is convention. Or, another way to say it - conditioned
behavior. We know that since the beginning of Internet time, a
procedure was invented to signal a way to get from point A to point B.
Most probably that direction is an underlined word that when clicked,
changes color and even if not clicked, often is a different color from
the rest of the content. It may even be a different font face and size.
And, it's underlined. It takes the visitor somewhere else..."
http://tinyurl.com/ltm3b

+09: PHP.

PHP Roadmap
By James Murphy.
On WebProNews.com a PHP roadmap has been posted - a comprehensive look
at what PHP is and how it's evolved. First they look at what PHP has to
offer, then how it's evolved, and finally a comparison of PHP to
several other languages, including Perl, Java, and Cold Fusion."
http://tinyurl.com/qzuby

Using Comments
By Christopher Jason.
"If you've ever had to work through another programmer's code to
complete a project, you probably understand the importance of
commenting code. This quick tutorial shows the 3 different ways to
comment your code in PHP..."
http://www.christopherjason.com/articles/using-comments-php/

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

On Quality Education
By Holly Marie Koltz.
"...As more students become aware of web standards and web best
practices before they enter a college or a university program, they are
going to start looking closely at your programs and will also look at
educational options. If your institution does not offer what they want
or need, they may enroll elsewhere. Students have already been asking
about good choices on mailing lists and forums for several years. The
standards web community is well aware of the substandard educational
issues. It is the year 2006 and there is no reason to be instructing
practices and methods of 1996, or backwards and outdated materials.
Students who are paying for a degree and education should receive a
quality education...Educators need to update their knowledge and
skills, and those educators who have updated need to have the ability
to make changes in programs or update the learning material.
Administration and departments should support and encourage these
changes. Institutions should help instructors update..."
http://www.webstandards.org/2006/05/24/on-quality-education/

WSG Meeting PodCasts
By Web Standards Group.
Includes many people and topics like Gian Sampson-Wild and Bruce
McGuire talking about WCAG 2.0, John Allsopp discussing web patterns,
Cameron Adams on AJAX, and Roger Hudson and Russ Weakley on page source
order and accessibility.
http://webstandardsgroup.org/audio/

Design Patterns: Part 3
By Luke Wroblewski.
"...So what is a design pattern? We've used one definition: 'A design
pattern is a repeatable design solution, that's been tested, reviewed,
and verified.' I think the essential part of that definition is the
'repeatable design solution' part - we'll talk about some of the
challenges with testing, reviewing, and verifying later in the
conversation. But repeatable solutions give a pragmatic answer to the
question: if it's a solution that's been useful in more than a few
situations, it's worth writing up as a pattern. If it's been documented
well enough that another designer can use it for a different problem,
it is a design pattern..."
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?350

Design Patterns: Part 4
By Luke Wroblewski.
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?351

+11: TOOLS.

Web Accessibility Checker (for WCAG 2.0)
By Adaptive Technology Resource Center (ATRC) at the University Of
Toronto.
"This is an experimental service provided by the Adaptive Technology
Resource Center (ATRC) at the University Of Toronto. It is a model
system that demonstrates how web pages can be checked for accessibility
problems."
http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/index.html

Functional Accessibility Evaluator
By Center for Instructional Technology Accessibility.
"The Functional Accessibility Evaluator (FAE), formerly called the Web
Accessibility Management Tool (WAMT), analyzes web resources for markup
that is consistent with the use of CITES/DRES HTML Best Practices for
development of functionally accessible web resources that also support
interoperability."
http://fae.cita.uiuc.edu/

Accessibility Extensions for Mozilla/Firefox
By Center for Instructional Technology Accessibility.
"The Mozilla/Firefox Accessibility Extension makes it easier for people
with disabilities to view and navigate web content. A toolbar provides
easy access to navigation, styling, and keyboard enhancement
functionality. Developers can use the extension to check their
structural markup from the browser window to verify that it matches the
page content. The Accessibility Extension helps authors to meet these
kinds of accessibility practices that are so important for the browsing
experience of all users and vital to those with special needs."
http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/software/mozilla/

+12: USABILITY.

How to Create User Friendly Web Sites
By Jakob Nielsen and Hoa Loranger.
"Excerpted from Prioritizing Web Usability by Jakob Nielsen and Hoa
Loranger...As technology continues to improve and more users have
high-speed access, multimedia Web sites are becoming more prevalent.
Done well, video, animation, and sound can enrich the user experience
and delight audiences. Implemented inappropriately, multimedia is
repellant and reduces your site's value. In this chapter, we'll discuss
strategies to help you avoid common pitfalls and use multimedia to your
advantage."
http://www.webreference.com/programming/web_usability/

Older Adults and Web Usability: Is Web Experience the Same as Web
Expertise?
By Ann Chadwick-Dias, Donna Tedesco, and Tom Tullis.
"...Preliminary results in our labs demonstrate a positive correlation
between opportunities for collaborative learning and Web expertise, as
well as a negative correlation between opportunities for collaborative
learning and age. These results support the need to reassess how best
to measure Web expertise and how we might improve Web interaction for
older adults..."
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=985921.986072

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu