[webdev] Web Design Update: April 27, 2007

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Apr 27 06:24:43 CDT 2007

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 5, Issue 45, April 27, 2007.

03: DREAMWEAVER.
10: TOOLS.
11: USABILITY.
12: XML.

NFB, Target, Amazon
By Joe Clark.
"I have never quite figured out why certain news items in the
accessibility field get all the press. AOL's adding captioning to one
or two snippets of video got covered 50 times. NFB suing Target for
accessibility, ditto. That one at least is news. But Amazon and NFB
signing an agreement to improve Web accessibility? Why did that get so
much coverage when we know so little of the details?..."
http://blog.fawny.org/2007/04/24/fishy-nfb-amazon/

World's First Universally Inaccessible Game!
By Mel Pedley.
"The Human Computer Interaction Laboratory (HCI Lab) at the Institute
of Computer Science (ICS) of the Foundation for Research and Technology
(FORTH) has just announced the release of 'Game Over!', the world's
first universally inaccessible game!..."
http://blackwidows.co.uk/blog/?p=121

Jaws Access of PDF - A Users Guide - Web Access Centre
By Royal National Institute of the Blind.
"This document provides guidance and technical advice on accessing
PDF's if you are a screen reader user, in particular a JAWS user..."
http://tinyurl.com/2c5htb

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Reset Reasoning
By Eric Meyer.
"The reset styles are undergoing yet another overhaul, but in the
meantime, I thought I'd answer a question several people have asked..."
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/04/18/reset-reasoning/

Inherit Expression for IE?
By Eric Meyer.
"The reset styles are currently held up on a point of non-support in
IE/Win. However, there's a decent chance we can work around it...
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/04/23/inherit-expression-for-ie/

Clean Semantics
By Rob Hofker.
"As I have written before I wanted to try t get rid of all these extra
tags, get rid of the div soup. I set out on a journey not knowing if I
would ever reach the destination or where that destination would be..."
http://roho2003.blogspot.com/2007/04/clean-semantics.html

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Dreamweaver CS3, Spry Widgets, and Accessibility
By Virginia DeBolt.
"...Use them if you want, but only after making sure that your decision
to do so is based on the knowledge that you aren't making your content
unreachable to large numbers of your visitors."
http://www.webteacher.ws/2007/04/dreamweaver-cs3-spry-widgets-and.html

Dreamweaver is Dead to Me
By Glen Lipka.
"...Dreamweaver...systematically eliminated every single good feature
from Homesite. The advanced find/replace sucks. Takes 3x longer to do
simple tasks. They got rid of the split view for the folders so I can't
see anything. They added a million features that I will never use. Its
bloated and sucks up ram..."
http://www.commadot.com/?p=512

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Revitalizing SUS, the System Usability Scale
By Jens Meiert.
"About 20 years ago, John Brooke published the concept of a 'System
Usability Scale', a reliable, low-cost usability scale that can be used
for global assessments of systems usability. SUS is based on a Likert
scale questionnaire with standardized content that results in an
overall usability and user satisfaction index (ranging from 0 to
100)..."
http://tinyurl.com/yu4hh7

Yes, You Should be Using Personas
By Leisa Reichelt.
"Personas communicate the user centered process like no other method."
http://www.disambiguity.com/yes-you-should-be-using-personas/

Five Techniques for Getting Buy-In for Usability Testing
By Christine Perfetti.
"For more than seven years, I've been teaching and coaching design
teams on how to conduct usability tests and gather user feedback early
on in the development process. One of the questions that comes up time
and time again from clients is, 'How can we get buy-in for usability
tests from management and other team members?' Through our own research
at UIE, and in our ongoing discussions with expert usability
practitioners, we've identified several proven techniques for getting
stakeholders onboard..."
http://tinyurl.com/3yffax

Techsmith's Morae 2.0 Ups the Ante for Usability Testing Software
By David Travis.
"If you ever carry out web or software usability tests then you'll have
come across Techsmith's Morae software. Techsmith has just released a
major upgrade to the software, now at version 2.0. As we were just
about to run a usability test for a client, we did something we'd never
normally advise - we installed the new version of Morae on top of the
old one the night before the test. Installation was a breeze and there
were no hiccups during our test, allowing us to focus on what's new in
Morae. So is it worth taking the plunge if you haven't yet invested in
this software?"
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3849.asp

+05: EVENTS.

California Web Accessibility Conference (CalWAC)
Teaser Page for their upcoming conference.
January, 2008.
California State University Campus, U.S.A.
http://www.knowbility.org/calwac/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Seven JavaScript Techniques You Should Be Using Today
By Dustin Diaz.
"Is your box of JavaScript tricks starting to look a little worn?
Got the feeling your functions are slacking off when you're not
watching? Never fear--JavaScript expert, Dustin Diaz, has the
lowdown on seven smart tips that should be in every coder's
toolbox."
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/seven_javascript_techniques/

Unobtrusive and Keyboard Accessible Connected Select Boxes
By Roger Johansson.
"Any web developer who has created a reasonably complex form is
probably aware of the concept of multiple select elements that are
connected - choosing something from one select box either makes a new
select box appear or changes the options of one that is already
visible..."
http://tinyurl.com/ytews4

Form Prepopulation
By Patrick H. Lauke.
"Generic DOM-based javascript to prepopulate text inputs and textarea
on page load, based on their title attribute. In addition, the script
also attaches onfocus/onblur behaviors to those elements..."
http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/22/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

IA (Information Architecture) Voice
By Wolf H. Noding.
"Welcome here at IA Voice, the first IA Podcast channel in
Europe....We'll cast interviews, conference speeches and discussions
about the field of information architecture. Our main goal is to get to
know information architects all over the world and talk with them about
their IA processes, methodologies and  at the same time also about
their IA philosophy..."
http://iavoice.typepad.com/

Women in Web Design: Just the Stats
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"...An Event Apart commissioned a fact-finding mission. We hired
researchers at The New York Public Library to find out everything that
is actually known about the percentage of women in our field...So the
first disclaimer is that our research covers IT, not just web design.
The second is that we're still sifting the data we received. This is
nothing like a final report. If a final report emerges, it will come
from An Event Apart. All that out of the way, the picture that emerges
is disturbing...Men outnumber women in this workforce by over three to
one...The percentage of women employed in the field is declining
instead of growing...Women who participate in the field may not be
promoted as often or as high as their male colleagues..."
http://www.zeldman.com/2007/04/19/women-in-web-design/

The Web Design Survey, 2007
By An List Apart Staff.
"People who make websites have been at it for more than a dozen years,
yet almost nothing is known, statistically, about our profession. Let's
do something to change that. Presenting A List Apart's first annual Web
Design Survey."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/webdesignsurvey

+08: NAVIGATION.

Site Maps Are Not Stupid
By Meryl Evans.
"I've known of Lyle for years as he provides a great resource for Web
designers. He believes sitemaps are stupid and that designers should
use guides instead. I disagree and this is why..."
http://tinyurl.com/ys9mb5

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Talk on HTML5
By Anne van Kesteren.
"I gave a talk on HTML5 ...'Evolving the Web: HTML5'..."
http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/04/html5-talk

Proposal to Adopt HTML5
By L. David Baron, Lars Erik Bolstad, Brendan Eich, Dave Hyatt, Hakon
Wium Lie, and Maciej Stachowiak.
"...If the group is agreeable to these proposals, Apple, Mozilla and
Opera will agree to arrange a non-exclusive copyright assignment to
the W3 Consortium for HTML5 specifications."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0429.html

My Workshop Dilemma
By Donna Maurer.
"I have been teaching for many years (like 22) and teach often (4
workshops in the last 4 weeks). And in all that time, I have never
resolved one particular problem. One that I have found harder as I move
into harder work....This is my teaching challenge. Providing the
answers I'm confident about, letting people know I can't provide an
answer on the spot and raising awareness that much work needs thought.
It is an incredibly hard balance, lifting people from 'give me answers'
to 'help me think' in a short time...
http://www.maadmob.net/donna/blog/archives/000751.html

35 Designers x 5 Questions
By Smashing Magazine.
"...over 80 CSS-based tips, design ideas, suggestions, fonts,
design-related books and online-magazines - are listed below."
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/04/20/35-designers-x-5-questions/

+10: TOOLS.

Deque Ramp Personal Edition Program: First Step to 'One Accessible
World'
By Deque.
"'One Accessible World' is designed to promote accessibility for
information technology around the world. We are extremely proud to roll
out this free, no cost, program to people committed to World Wide Web
accessibility outreach. Below you will find an overview of the program,
and how to gain access to this group...Who Qualifies: Assistive
Technology labs, Educational institutions, Non-profits, Students of web
accessibility, Web accessibility trainers...One-time registration is
necessary before you can download your free copy of Deque's Ramp PE,
the Web accessibility evaluation software."
http://www.deque.com/products/ramp/rampPE.php

+11: USABILITY.

Markup's Dirty Little Secret
By Rick Jelliffe.
"Different applications on different systems use different fonts, fonts
with the same family name but different metrics, different hyphenation
algorithms, hyphenation setting defaults, hyphenation dictionaries,
different size spaces, different line-breaking algorithms, different
widow/orphan/keep together rules, and different co-ordinate space
measures..."
http://tinyurl.com/yq4fyt

The Problem of Dirty Data
By Gerry McGovern.
"More than 25 percent of critical data in Fortune 1,000 companies is
poor quality because organizations have little experience in managing
content."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2007/nt-2007-04-23-dirty-data.htm

Usability is Design
By Mike Cherim.
"To better understand this post's curious title, you must understand
design and recognize it for what it is -- what it really is.
Immediately you might think of colors, images, and patterns, but design
is so much more. Design is something that touches our lives
continuously, day in and day out. From the subtle touches to full-out
implementations that, if done properly, are unappreciated, taken for
granted, and go unnoticed unless absent..."
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=169

+12: XML.

What is RSS?
By Simon Griffin.
"Despite its popularity with the cool kids, RSS is still to break into
the mainstream. Why? Because the average Joe just doesn't 'get it'.
Frustrated by this, commoncraft made the video below to explain RSS in
plain English..."
http://www.etre.com/blog/2007/04/what_is_rss_plain_english/

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu