[webdev] Web Design Update: June 6, 2008

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 6 06:27:27 CDT 2008

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 6, Issue 50, June 6, 2008.

02: DREAMWEAVER.
08: TOOLS.

Migrating from WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0
By Roger Hudson.
"This document has been prepared to help HTML developers and others who
are familiar with the Web Content Accessibility Version 1.0 (WCAG 1.0)
to map their current knowledge and practices with the WCAG 2.0 W3C
Candidate Recommendation of 30 April 2008..."
http://wipa.org.au/papers/wcag-migration.htm

Beyond CAPTCHA: No Bots Allowed!
By James Edwards.
"I'm sure you've seen them many times -- those wild squiggles that need
to be deciphered and typed into a text box before you can buy concert
tickets online or access a comment form..."
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/captcha-problems-alternatives

Accessibility for Older Users: Part 1 of 3 - Introduction
By Jack Pickard.
"On the 14th May 2008, the W3C produced a document called Web
Accessibility for Older Users: A Literature Review. Well, what can I
say to that..."
http://tinyurl.com/42382h

Accessibility for Older Users: Part 2 of 3 - Limitations and Prejudice
By Jack Pickard.
"Getting older can result in..."
http://tinyurl.com/3wkxev

Accessibility for Older Users: Part 3 of 3 - Guidelines and Involvement
By Jack Pickard.
"And then they look at previous guidelines designed for older people..."
http://tinyurl.com/3j9nlp

+02: DREAMWEAVER.

Dreamweaver CS4 Public Beta: Subversion Integration
By Tom Muck.
"Dreamweaver is 10 years old, and Dreamweaver 10 (CS4) has been
released as a public beta. Among the many new features is the
integration with the Subversion source control and version control
system. This has been a much requested feature over the years. With 10
releases in 10 years, it is hard to get major features into a
program?the limited time spent on development and testing between
releases leaves little room for transformations in functionality, but
this is one good step towards turning Dreamweaver into a valid and
productive coding environment..."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=9C6DA

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Web Site Tune-up: 8 Quick Checkups
By Joe Dolson.
"Perfecting a web site is a long and involved process. There's no
getting around the fact that if you want every aspect of your site to
be right - accessibility, search optimization, and just all-around
pizzazz, you've probably got some significant work to do..."
http://tinyurl.com/3q33p8

Look Composed. How Visuals Can Draw and Drive Attention.
By Kath Straub.
"...Eyetracking studies capture where people look, how they move
(visually) through a page, and how long they linger on the various
spots. (For websites studies, they can also capture mouse movement and
clicks.) Results are often conveyed in "heatmaps" overlaid on the
original image. Hotspots (the red ones) on the heatmap define where
people looked most, lingered and looked most often..."
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/may08.asp#kath

+04: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA, It's Easy - @media 2008
By Steve Faulkner.
Steve's presentations slides are now available.
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=72

ARIA Slider, Part 1
By Hans Hillen.
"...In this article, I will be providing an example for the slider
role..."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=68

Overview of ARIA Live Regions
Peter Thiessen.
"Currently the WAI-ARIA guidelines address the problem of dynamic Web
content by embedding accessible roles and states into HTML documents.
Using ARIA, Web authors can create custom widgets such as a slider or
grid and make them accessible by marking them up with WAI-ARIA. The
markup allows a mapping for behavior and settings that AT can interpret
and speak to the user. I wrote a paper, Ajax Live Regions: Chat as a
Case Example (pdf) for the W4A 2007 conference that covers Live Regions
in more detail..."
http://blog.overscore.com/?p=10

ARIA in HTML5 - Video Discussion
By Steve Faulkner.
"ARIA in HTML5 part 1 & ARIA in HTML5 part 2 - videos of Anne van
Kesteren discussing ARIA and issues surrounding its implementation with
Marcos Caceres."
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=70

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

Saving the Spark: Developing Creative Ideas
By Mark Boulton.
"Ideas are at the heart of every creative process. However, coming up
with them can be hard work. Mark Boulton arms us with tools to meet
this challenge."
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/savingthespark

Why We Skip Photoshop
By Jason Fried.
"When designing a UI we usually go right from a quick paper sketch to
HTML/CSS. We skip the static Photoshop mockup. Here are a few reasons
why we skip photoshop..."
http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1061-why-we-skip-photoshop

+06: NAVIGATION.

Don't Design 'What If' Navigation
By Gerry McGovern.
"Every time you add navigation options you add confusion and
complexity. Too much choice is the bane of web navigation..."
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2008/nt-2008-06-02-navigation.htm

+07: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

The Missing Link
By Eric Meyer.
"One of the few things I think XHTML2 got absolutely, totally, 125%
right was freeing the href attribute from the few elements that
accepted it and spreading it all over the language. It saddens me that
this isn't happening in HTML5, especially since at least 1.5 of the
four reasons given seem off base..."
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/06/02/the-missing-link/

Offline Web Applications
By Anne van Kesteren.
"HTML 5 contains several features that address the challenge of
building Web applications that work while offline. This document
highlights these features (SQL, offline application caching APIs as
well as online/offline events, status, and the localStorage API) from
HTML 5 and provides brief tutorials on how these features might be used
to create Web applications that work offline. [HTML5]..."
http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/

+08: TOOLS.

IETester
"IETester is a free WebBrowser that allows you to have the rendering
and javascript engines of IE8 beta 1, IE7 IE 6 and IE5.5 on Vista and
XP, as well as the installed IE in the same process."
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

+09: USABILITY.

Expectations and Usability: Consistency
By Peter J. Meyers.
"Recently, I've talked about why expectations drive usability and how
industry standards and habits create expectations. Once a visitor
reaches your website, though, you also start to set your own
expectations. You would think that the expectations you set yourself
would be the easiest to meet, but sadly, that doesn't seem to be the
case. Many of the most common website usability problems I come across
boil down to violating internal consistency. Below are some common
consistency problems and how to avoid them..."
http://www.usereffect.com/topic/expectations-and-usability-consistency

Web Form Design: Labels Within Inputs
By Luke Wroblewski.
"I've written extensively about the differences between top, right, and
left aligned labels on Web forms. While these considerations account
for the majority of form layout options, they don't cover all the
possible ways form labels could be presented on a page. One alternative
I get asked about quite regularly is labels within input fields..."
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?687

Web Design: 10 Additional Research Findings You Should Know
By Jens Meiert.
"Following up on last year's post on web design research, here's a new
collection of research results, this time featuring further reading as
well..."
http://tinyurl.com/4d3yye

mailto:lcarlson at d.umn.edu